Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Pre oiling an engine - 1939 six
Just popping in
Just popping in

DoughnutChaser
See User information
Hello all,
I have a 1939 six that has not been started for several months and I'm concerned about causing damage to surfaces that may not have a sufficient coating of oil.
There is an external oil filter canister on the side of the engine. I think I'm correct in assuming the feed from the pump exiting the side of the block and entering a port in the conical base of the canister and the filtered return line exiting the side of the canister and leading back to the engine block.

Pre-oiling / pre-lubing seems to be very much in vogue and for good reason I think.

There seems to be two versions:
1) a tank pressurized with air and a feed line that is connected to the appropriate point on the engine.
2) an external oil pump that is plumbed to the engine.

Has anyone performed this sort of procedure or have any insight/suggestions.

Could acceptable results be achieved by administering a dose of oil through each spark plug hole and turning the crankshaft by hand through several full rotations ?

thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2020/5/29 19:45
 Top  Print 

Re: Pre oiling an engine - 1939 six
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Adding oil into the spark plug holes will wet the cylinder walls and the top ring but will do nothing for the main, rod, and cam bearings, wrist pins, lifters, timing chain, etc.

If you feel the need to circulate some oil before startup following very long storage, why not just crank the engine with the ignition off or disabled until pressure begins to show on the oil pressure gauge, shouldn't take more than 5 or 6 engine revolutions.

Posted on: 2020/5/29 19:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If this was an engine that was running normally "several months ago" as in less than two years, just start it and drive off happily into the sunset. I assume the engine was in reasonable storage and no rodents have made nests in it; now that will do some damage!

Over the years I have started dozens and dozens of engines that had sat for long periods and almost never do more than generously oil the cylinders then spin them on the starter with the plugs out as Owen suggested.

Pre-oiling discussions on the internet--unless there is a peculiar situation--is the automotive equivalent of virtue signalling.

Posted on: 2020/5/29 20:13
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

DoughnutChaser
See User information
Thanks for the advice Owen and Ross.
Eight months (in carport) since last start up of the car, rebuilt engine has done 400 miles. I'll put a little oil in the plug holes and hand crank prior to start up.
Point taken for the automotive equivalent of virtue signalling, I had wondered as much.
I also have another project that has not been started for 5 years, maybe a bit more care for that one?
Full time work is getting in the way of my projects, retirement is the go!

Posted on: 2020/5/31 2:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
I'm working on 1931 myself and getting ready to start it. A couple weekends ago, I filled the crankcase with fresh oil, removed the plugs and turned it over by hand about 200 revolutions or so. To check oil pressure, I disconnected the oil pressure line that goes to the dash and confirmed, with a little oil dribbling from the line, that I was getting pressure. If oil is getting there, then I have to believe I'm getting it to the mains as well.

Posted on: 2020/5/31 6:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Your car hasn't really been sitting long enough to need that. It's the kind of thing done when an engine has been sitting for years, not months!

Posted on: 2020/5/31 16:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
When starting my 115C I would turn the engine over - with the ignition off - until oil pressure registered on the gauge. Then, turn the key on, press accelerator pedal a couple of times to set the choke and squirt some gas, and start it. This did two things, primed the oil and fuel systems. It took about three or four times - pausing for a few seconds in between - before pressure registered. I didn't like starting that old engine without getting some oil to circulate first. It was probably over kill, but it made me feel like I was doing the right thing.

I also had an issue with the 47 Clipper when the oil pump lost its prime after an oil pan and pump screen service. I followed HH56's advice and injected oil into the port that fed the lifters and filter to prime the pump. Worked like a charm!

Posted on: 2020/5/31 16:37
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day DoughnutChaser,
to PackardInfo. Another Aussie on board, good to see.

And I invite you to include your '39 110 Six in the Packard Owner's Registry.

EDIT - See posts below!

Posted on: 2020/5/31 19:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Mal, you should know better. No such thing as a 1939 110! It's a 1939 Six.

Posted on: 2020/5/31 19:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Don,

Shame on me!

Posted on: 2020/5/31 19:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved