Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Spark Plug Cable Spacers
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Anyone know what these are far - I think my car has two

Posted on: 2020/6/25 20:17
 Top  Print 

Re: Spark Plug Cable Spacers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Not sure what you are asking. They just keep the plug wires in tidy order over the cylinder head.

Posted on: 2020/6/26 6:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
When I installed a new set of plug wires on my '48 2262 I found a pair of 4-hole separators on the plug side of the separator block. The set on the car were made of so kind of 'breakium' or 'snapium', and did not survive the handling. They did however pulverize quite nicely. I made a replacement set from 1/8 rubber sheet stock, ? X 2 ? with ? holes ? on centers. I don't know if the set I encountered were original or OEM replacement, but the items I made looked quite a bit like the broken ones. See photo.

I thought it was such a good idea I made a few 3-hole and 2-hole separators to place along the way. I put the other separators closer to the plugs themselves to get some free vertical support.

dp

Attach file:

jpg  (309.76 KB)
34287_5ef66508afd5a.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/6/26 16:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One of my postwar Packards had plug wire separators just as you've pictured (the 4-wire one) and I'm reasonably sure it was original equipment. I think it was the '54 Patrician but it could have been one of the Custom 8s.

Did anyone look to see if it's listed in the 1948-54 Master Parts List?

Posted on: 2020/6/26 17:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Yes I think they are listed as Spacer - Spark Plug Cable

Group 4.1109
393685 22 - 25 All
439236 26 - 54 All
2 per car

The next item is 4.11092 Block - Ignition Spark Plug Cable Support
395563 22 - 54 All
1 per car

I've assumed the first item is the separator we are talking about, and the 8-hole block is listed separately as a cable support.

I wonder if anyone has an original, so we might know what the original material would be. Mine fell apart as soon as I tried to remove the first wire. It was not slotted. You would have to incorporate the spacer while the wire set was being fabricated and installed. I replicated that design on the replacement(s).

dp

Posted on: 2020/6/26 18:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
David - I have the same car - It has the Ignition Cable Grommet. mounted in a bracket , and two 4 wire Spark Plug Wire Spacers (one is broken )- looks like they all are made of hard rubber The Cable Grommet is slotted -

Posted on: 2020/6/26 19:11
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know what the material was. They were dull black, quite rigid, and as you noted, unslotted.

Posted on: 2020/6/26 19:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Micarta would have been around since 1910/1920. I've only seen an amber/dried blood color of that material, but any number of colors, especially black, could be made. My rubber ones are surely not rigid, and I'm more than willing to make some from Micarta, assuming some thin sheet stock is available.

Posted on: 2020/6/26 19:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
For those like me who do not know what Micarta is:
Micarta industrial laminates are established as the premium phenolic thermoset materials in the industry. Micarta Phenolic sheet is a hard, dense material made by applying heat and pressure to layers of paper or glass cloth impregnated with synthetic resin. These layers of laminations are usually of cellulose paper, cotton fabrics, synthetic yarn fabrics, glass fabrics or unwoven fabrics. When heat and pressure are applied to the layers, a chemical reaction (polymerization) transforms the layers into a high-pressure thermosetting industrial laminated plastic.

I guess it was used because of resistance to heat?

https://www.ebay.com/b/micarta-sheet/bn_7024779560

Posted on: 2020/7/2 11:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Micarta ia a very old brand name for thermoset phenolic sheet. The heat resistance would be good because it's thermoset. It's basically circuit board material.

Posted on: 2020/7/2 12:21
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved