Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 93

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Steering Bell crank loose bushing
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

daves41
See User information
I've been told at the inspection station that I have a loose steering bell crank bushing on my 1941 120. Can it be tightened or do I have to find a new bushing? The wipers don't work also, so I'm going to pull that unit and see what's wrong with it. I never take it out in the rain and use a rain product in case, but this station says they have to work.

Posted on: 2020/8/14 11:13
 Top  Print 

Re: Steering Bell crank loose bushing
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
341162 is the center steering "bell crank" kit. If you look at MaxMerritt site, you can see the components. Not too expensive or hard to replace, basically a special greaseable bolt in a bushing that goes through the steering arm. When not greased, they wear out...

Wipers are electric, so its a matter of electrically troubleshooting and determining where the fault is. They sort of come out as an assembly once the arms are detached and they are unbolted from the body. On second thought, probably not easy to get past all the dash wiring, so may be best to troubleshoot in place, then struggle with the location...

Posted on: 2020/8/14 19:01
 Top  Print 

Re: Steering Bell crank loose bushing
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

daves41
See User information
Thank you for that quick reply. I'll check out that site and get the part for the steering. I've removed the dash panel center piece, got the heater hose out of the way, and hope to check out the wiper motor soon. The access isn't too bad, since the clock and some of the other wiring isn't functional. There's a nonworking fan under the passenger side of the front seat. I've always wondered if it was an option.But... it's a beautiful old car, so I'll see what I can do for her. And again, thank you for the assistance.

Attach file:

jpg  (245.66 KB)
4796_5f372ecccc586.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2020/8/14 19:48
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved