Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 158

Tom (Packin31), DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

WTB - V8 bearings and pistons
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Got one or more sets on the shelf you've been saving for a project that's never going to happen? If so, shoot me the details and a price.

jack vines

Posted on: 2020/8/28 9:28
 Top  Print 

Re: WTB - V8 bearings and pistons
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Jack,
This question is asked on the 1955-1956 Packard Facebook page,
" I'm looking to buy lifters for my '55 V8. I've read from multiple sources that mopar 318 lifters cross over, but to use part number 879 instead of 2011. What is the difference? Will using the 2011 cause a catastrophic engine failure?"

I don't know if you do Facebook or not, but I was wondering what the answer was.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/connoravenuepackards/

Posted on: 2020/8/29 9:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Only the 879 number will work. The early Mopars and Packards were the same. After a few years, Mopar changed their pushrod ends from 1/4" to 5/16" and the pushrod cup in the 2011 does not mate up correctly with the Packard pushrod.

jack vines

BTW- still need V8 bearings and pistons.

Posted on: 2020/9/25 16:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Chirco
See User information
jack, did you send the 320 pistons back?

Posted on: 2020/9/26 1:05
 Top  Print 

Re: WTB - .010" V8 bearings and pistons
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Greetings, All,

Need a set of .010" King main bearings.

PM me on how you'd like payment.

jack vines

Posted on: 2020/11/18 10:04
 Top  Print 

Re: WTB - .010" V8 bearings and pistons
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Jack,
If you find any, and there are extra's, please let me know. I have been looking for a set for my 352 and have come up empty. I even found one reference that a newer big block Ford set would fit, but after I received them, they were totally different. It seems that the only other option is to have the crank turned another .010 and get the 20 over ones that are easily available.
John

Posted on: 2020/11/18 12:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
I even found one reference that a newer big block Ford set would fit,
Just for the good of the order, where was this mis-information found? BBF has huge main bearings (3.00") so not even a remote possibility for use in the Packard V8. We need to get this fake news taken down or at least called out as wrong.

With appropriate machining, substitutes for main bearings 1 - 4 can be found, but the #5 thrust bearing is unique. There are no substitutes.

jack vines

Posted on: 2020/11/21 12:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Jack,
Somehow, I missed your reply until today. I don't recall exactly where I found the info, but I will research my files and see if I can locate it.
Did you have any luck finding any .010 mains? I'm about ready to order some .020 from Kanter and take them and my crank to the machine shop to have the mains turned to fit. I'd rather stick with the .010 but it is what it is.
My only other option would be to go for a small block motor and trans option, but I'm leery about the crossover problems since I really don't want to have to permanently alter the frame.
John

Posted on: 2020/12/12 11:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Still need .010" V8 main bearings.

jack vines

Posted on: 2021/1/29 18:13
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved