Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1952 carter WGD carb
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
The car had been sitting for years.It has a hesitation issue.I took the carb apart cleaned it thoroughly put it back together and still has the same problem. I noticed that where the accelerator pump is there is some sort of corrosion that I cannot get clean.When you hit the thottle the gas dose not squirt 2 straight lines of fuel unless you hit the throttle very fast. I think what is happening when you move the throttle slowly the gas is bypassing at the corroded area.I tried various cleaners and gum cutter and carb cleaner .Im afraid to use anything corse. Maybe the housing is bad. I also noticed that if I hold the choke part way closed the engine throttles up fine.I dont think there is a vacuum leak because the engine idles very smooth I thought someone may have another Idea.Thanks for any help

Posted on: 2020/8/29 16:17
 Top  Print 

Re: 1952 carter WGD carb
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your accelerator pump performance is suspect and would lead to stumble or hesitation on acceleration. The corrosion in the pump bore will shorten the life of the plunger seal if not corrected. Also, a vacuum leak wouldn't necessarily prevent an engine from idling smoothly.

Posted on: 2020/8/29 17:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I have a parts carb but its in rough shape. The guys that rebuild carbs professionally may have a way to repair the bore.Can anyone recommend a place to rebuild carbs.

Posted on: 2020/8/30 4:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
To clean an accelerator pump bore wrap a strip of scotchbrite around a screwdriver and twirl it in the bore. If the bore has actual pits get another carb.

The pump must be able to produce a jet of fuel the instant the throttle is moved to avoid bogging. Leather is once again the preferred pump material. Put a little oil on it and roll it between your fingers to limber it up before installation.

Posted on: 2020/8/30 7:08
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved