Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 158

Packard Don, Jack Vines, BigKev, Dads 56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

49 Packard series 23
Just popping in
Just popping in

Chuck Gross
See User information
I recently replaced the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, and pilot bushing. The overdrive was not working prior to the project and is not currently operative. All of the gears shift smoothly with no issues. However, when you downshift or ease off on the gas, the transmission free spins with no compression. Once you accelerate the gears engage. Any wisdom on how to correct this would be welcome. Chuck

Posted on: 2020/9/3 11:03
 Top  Print 

Re: 49 Packard series 23
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
While waiting for the experts to reply, I've not driven a Packard with overdrive in years but it seems to me that what you describe is normal as freewheeling is part of the overdrive design.

Posted on: 2020/9/3 11:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, overdrive-equipped cars will have engine compression braking when coasting if the OD is disengaged. If engaged, it will free-wheel when coasting.

Why do you say your overdrive is currently inoperative, clearly the overrunning clutch is engaged to permit the freewheeling.

Posted on: 2020/9/3 11:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just to clarify, with the OD knob pulled out you should have normal engine braking in all gears at all speeds.

With the OD knob pushed in, and the OD IS working properly, you will have engine braking in any gear when above the OD cut in speed, about 22-27 mph.

If the OD knob is pushed in and there are electrical or other problems keeping it from working, the trans will always freewheel.

If you don't want your OD to work at this time you must make sure that the lockout lever on the side of the trans is pulled all the way forward when you pull out the knob under the dash.

Posted on: 2020/9/3 20:31
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved