Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6 volt to 12 volt conversion with positive ground
Just popping in
Just popping in

randyd
See User information
1938 Packard Model 6 business coupe has been converted. I have had a new fuel tank fabricated and now need to purchase a new fuel sending unit. What is absolutely the simplest solution on getting the proper replacement for the fuel sending unit. I am not a mechanic but I assume the replacement sending units online will not work since the system has been converted. Again simple as possible I know my mechanical limitations, Thanks!

Posted on: 2020/9/14 11:01
 Top  Print 

Re: 6 volt to 12 volt conversion with positive ground
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
According to the 38-39 combo shop manual the 38 gauges were most likely Stewart-Warner and the issue you will have with modern senders is none still use the old S-W resistance range which in 38 was probably the same 100 ohms empty, 0 ohms full as was used by other S-W supplied Packard gauges thru 47. Because other brand gauges were also used for other Packard models in those years you might want to verify which brand gauge is in your car since the resistance value may not be the same. Usually but not always the brand name is stamped on the back of the gauge.

If you have the S-W gauges, they are the magnetic type with electromagnet coils so to run on 12v you will need some kind of voltage reducer. For a single gauge the Runtz type regulator is probably the best and much better than an ordinary dropping resistor for keeping the voltage at a known and stable value. If you have kept the positive ground after the conversion then those will not work and you will need to come up with a different plan. Runtz regulators are available from several places including Amazon.

Once the voltage to the gauge is correct the original sender will work if it is in good condition or can be repaired. If you need something custom for your new tank then as far as I know, the only place that might be able to make or supply a sender in the correct resistance range is KM Lifestyle.http://www.mykmlifestyle.com/Packard_Fuel_Sender_0YW2.html

Attach file:

jpg  (369.96 KB)
209_5f5fa0f7cb2c9.jpg 1896X1456 px

Posted on: 2020/9/14 12:02
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 6 volt to 12 volt conversion with positive ground
Just popping in
Just popping in

randyd
See User information
Thanks that is very helpful information !

Posted on: 2020/9/26 13:58
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved