Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 74

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Turn Signals 53 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
All,

Got my Clipper back finally. I had pulled my turn signals (front) out to have the front bezel rechromed. I have reconnected but don't have turn signals. I have rechecked my connections. Appear to be correct. Thinking fuse. On wiring diagram, I see a 30 amp above temp gauge. Do I need to pull cluster out to check? Any other thoughts on what I can check? The car was apart for about three years so I guess it could be about anything at this point

Posted on: 2020/10/7 10:49
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print   

Re: Turn Signals 53 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the car is stock there should be a 10 amp accessory breaker that feeds the turn signals along with the instrument voltage regulator. It is fed from the ign switch and is on the back of the cluster under the speedometer on the other side of the instrument voltage regulator from the 30 amp body feed breaker. It should be the self resetting type so if there was a problem the breaker would trip, be off for a few seconds and then go active again only to trip and repeat the cycle as long as it has power or the excess load remains.

Grounds are notorious issues with the 51-54 front parking light assys and the pot metal grill pieces. I would suggest you try a temporary jumper from the socket shells to a good shiny ground point on the fenders and see if the signals work. If so, many have resorted to soldering or fastening an extra ground wire from the light housings to the fender metal.

If you do not have it already, here is an extraction showing just the turn signal circuit.

Attach file:

jpg  (236.29 KB)
209_5f7de7ca69936.jpg 1920X1157 px

Posted on: 2020/10/7 11:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Still chasing the same problem in mine. Pretty sure it's the grounds not cooperating, though I thought I had addressed it. Probably not well enough I guess.

If you find out what's causing your problem I'd love to know.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2020/10/7 13:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
Thanks for all the information. Turned out to be the flasher. When I jumpered the battery lead to the opposite leg of the flasher receptacle, all turn signals lights came on. Battery to middle leg turns on dash signals. Easy enough

Posted on: 2020/10/8 15:10

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you are going modern be sure to get a proper flasher for positive ground. The original Tung-Sol units are all mechanical and don't care about anything but having the proper resistance in the circuit to work the thermal heater properly. Some of the modern replacements do care about polarity because they are partially solid state. The modern 6v 535 sold by Napa is one that will work the flashers since it is still done thermally but not the indicator light because that light is worked by a transistor in the flasher which is the wrong type for positive ground. Some of the modern flashers specifically say they are for -- or will work with -- positive ground. If they do not specify anything I would avoid that brand or vendor unless someone can confirm it will work.

Posted on: 2020/10/8 15:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
Thanks for that information. I have the NAPA unit installed now. I didn't know about the resistor being needed to run the dash indicator bulbs. Is there a direct replacement flasher still available?

Posted on: 2020/10/8 15:53

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are some original 229 socket based Flashers on ebay at fairly reasonable prices. To make the Napa 535 work the indicator light properly it needs a transistor change.

Here is a comparison between the screw type 229 and the 535 flasher along with information on the needed transistor change as worked out by another poster.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.77 KB)
209_5f7f7f4333226.jpg 500X500 px

jpg  (50.49 KB)
209_5f7f7f574cacb.jpg 1476X166 px

Posted on: 2020/10/8 16:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved