Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Dual quad intake.
Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
I'm in need of a dual quad intake for the Green Dragon. Now the problem is i'm not a rich guy i'm a young guy that dose not make a lot of money. Is there anyone in the "club" that has one available fairly cheap? Or for that matter one that i can barrow long enough to get the foundry class at the college my uncle works for to cast a few copies? I know it's alot to ask,but i would like to have duals back on her in time for the national.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 20:52
 Top  Print 

Re: Dual quad intake.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I have a dual quad intake that I will not be using for a while. PM me and I'll respond with my phone number and we can talk.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/3/3 21:30
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
Fyi to all who have seen this post, just incase my contacts can not re-cast an intake for me based off the one craig is offering i'm still entertaing offers on any that are for sale!

Posted on: 2009/3/12 20:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
As always, your car, your money, your decision. Quote:
Now the problem is i'm not a rich guy i'm a young guy that dose not make a lot of money.
but FWIW, a Caribbean manifold is the most common and least expensive part of the setup because they're cast iron and don't break. However, the correct carburetors are rare, expensive and almost always need to be rebuilt at $800-1000. The linkage, lines, heat shields and associated hardware were not sold over-the-counter with the bare intake, so few exist. Usable air cleaners have been selling for as much as the manifold and carbs. Bottom line, today's retail prices, a complete running Caribbean intake setup will be a bargain at $3000. We've got a generous bunch of guys here, but this level of outright philanthropy is going to be a stretch.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/3/13 10:20
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well put, Jack. The last several years at Hershey there have been complete set-ups for both 55s and 56s (carbs are different), manifold, carbs rebuilt by Daytona, heat shields, linkage and fuel lines, and correct air filter, all nicely restored. As I recall the asking prices were about $5500. The air filter alone, even in very poor condition, can often top $1000.

Posted on: 2009/3/13 11:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The GreenDragon does not sound like a numbers correct restoration. Therefore, setting up all the other parts for a good 2x4 intake system would not be any more expensive than setting up similar on anything else using strictly aftermarket parts. Not exactly cheap, but certainly not the dollar numbers quoted above, since the only part of that setup one cannot get from the aftermarket is the intake manifold.

See Paul's car for an example:http://www.1956packardpanther.com/DPengineBay.html

Craig

Posted on: 2009/3/13 12:12
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Just to get everyone on the same page as to what is being requested, the Green Dragon is NOT a Caribbean? - my mistake to assume Quote:
I'm in need of a dual quad intake
to do a correct restoration. That was where my $3000 and Owen''s $5000 estimate was coming from.

OK if it's a case of Quote:
I'm in need of a dual quad intake
for more bling. I'm doing a modified myself. A complete modified 2x4 can be done for $1250 if the builder is a good shopper. It won't dramatically increase the performance on a stock engine, but some will think it looks cool. As always, your car, your money, your decision.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2009/3/13 15:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
The "Green Dragon" is a 56 clipper super/panama hardtop. it is in the registry, if you read it's story you will understand. all i need is the intake. none of the rest of a factory 2x4 setup was used on the car during it's racing era. and that era is in fact what i'm try'n to restore it to. and in fact, the set up on paul's car is almost exactly like how the dragon was set up in it's day. craig, any chance you know where he got the air cleaners? they are exactly like what was on her then. except for the crest wing nuts . i need a set of those too. already got the carbs found.

Posted on: 2009/3/13 19:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The crest wing nuts are '56 Packard trunk lock emblems. The air cleaners are probably these or similar, eBay item: 300292209851

Posted on: 2009/3/14 1:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
i have that one on my watch list. it's smaller than what was on the dragon. she had 8" cleaners back then. i have seen them before, but they were mainly used on late 50's vettes with 2x4 set ups. so they go for Big bucks!

Posted on: 2009/3/14 18:48
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved