Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 105

kevinpackard, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Carib windshield "frame"
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955-56-Packard-Caribbean-convertible-windshield-frame_W0QQitemZ130290763394QQihZ003QQcategoryZ33652QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is the windshield frame removeable from the 55 and 56 Carib convertibles??? How is it attached to the cowl???
IIRC the service manual makes no statement about R&R the windshield frame.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 20:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Re: Carib windshield "frame"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
A resto shop did the work on my 1955 Carib. Attached are a couple of photos taken after the windhield frame was removed. I was disappointed that the windshield and frame were removed because I felt that replacing the original windshield would be a high risk process. The car had spent 25 years in Phoenix and the glass was very brittle. In 2004 there were few if any spare Carib windshields available. Sure enough, as the last part of the rope was pulled to install the old windshield, the windshield cracked. After talking with ever source I could find, someone told me that Steve Williams had a couple of spare windshields. After a several pleading phone calls, Steve finally sold one to me. Today, I believe that Phillips Classic Glass in Missouri may still have a few that were made from one of Vic's molds in Russia.

I would not encourage disassembly of the windshield area unless you must replace the windshield. If you do, make sure you have the spare windshield in hand before you start the process.

Good luck.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.01 KB)
590_49ae5e4f1206e.jpg 600X405 px

jpg  (22.46 KB)
590_49ae5e7327a9c.jpg 600X405 px

Posted on: 2009/3/4 5:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
That's a great pic of the windshield frame removed.
Keith, the frame is cast bronze and hand fitted at assembly.
Phillips Glass does have Carib windshields. I bought one not long ago.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 9:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, I also got my windshield from Phillips about 10 years back, he has at least twice made a run of 25 each which seem to sell out quickly. No problems with installation though I didn't do it myself.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 9:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Many thanx to everyone for the replies. So am i correct in assuming that the verticle windshield posts in the 1st pic above are permanatly affixed to the cowl????

When i looked at the pic on ebAY I got the impression that what was shown included the verticle structure posts.

Did the 55 Carib have the same front seat as the 56??? I see what appears to be a underseat heater in the pic of ml's 55 Carib in the above pic.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 20:18
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Carib convertible front seats are entirely different 55 and 56 - remember the 56 seats have the reversible cushions so the seat frame is just a box support for the cushions. 56 seats were made by Sunstrand I believe.

No first-hand knowledge of the windshield frame but just speaking with Randy Berger, we both think the vertical side uprights may be welded; the cross-piece is removeable, a large bronze casting. (EDIT - Randy and I both believe the bronze headers were individually fitted to each car and thus interchangeability between convertibles may not be an automatic thing).

Posted on: 2009/3/4 20:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
Sorry I didn't read the Ebay posting earlier. Sounds like the premise of the seller is that you can convert a "400" into a Caribbean. First of all in addiiton to the windshield and frame, one would need a "5588-1XXX" data plate of a registered Caribbean that has been destroyed, a significant modification of the rear trunk area (distance between the front edge of the trunk lid and the rear edge of the rear window/top boot is different), there's the under body frame support steel plate infrastructure discussed in a previous forum discussion, the correct engine (the production number is stamped on the block on the front of the engine), the dual carb set-up, the change in the interior, etc. I have seen a couple of "400" conversions and a collector will see the difference between the real and almost real Caribbean very quickly. So my thought is that if someone thinks they're going to make a Caribbean with a windshield frame and a "400" and pass it by a collector...good luck.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 21:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I have no plan to convert anything to convertible. I was just trying to get a handle on how the Carib convertible was constructed and the eBay ad somewhat mislead me. THanx for the detail clarification.

HOWEVER, i do have a "convertible" 88 F Ranger that someone else converted before i got it. HA HA HA.

Posted on: 2009/3/4 21:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information

Posted on: 2009/3/4 22:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
I am suffering from insomnia and killing time reading old posts. The answer to this question is that the windshield frame of the 55 Caribbean consist of three cast bronze pieces. As stated in the post there is a long bronze piece that spans the top of the windshield and bolts to the two side pices. It seems apparent that Packard opted to cut off the steel side supports for the windshield to fit a shorter windshield for the Caribbean. The two side pieces slide into the old channel and are held with heavy Phillips head bolts which are countersunk into the inside of the frame and then sealed over and smoother with lead.
We pulled the windshield frame to allow caroming of the bronze frame pieces which were heavily corroded....thankfully the windshield survived removal and replacement of the rubber gasket. That is a job that I would not want to tackle again. fortunately I have a friend who does not consider this kind of activity a big deal. After the time expended....he would not volunteer to try it again.
I should have pictures somewhere and hope to offer the whole series to the Forum covering the entire restoration .....if I can ever finish the punch list items that need completed.

Posted on: 2017/2/1 5:37
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved