Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 103

pmhowe, Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How to remove speedometer from '35-37 Senior
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
What is the easiest way to remove the speedometer for a '35-37 Senior?
I have never removed one from its installed location.
The back of the instrument panel is as cluttered as an new car's engine compartment.

1. There are 2 round head bolts that hold the bulb fixture that has to be removed first, then three round head bolts that hold the speedometer to the instrument frame.
of course the set screw for the speedometer has to be loosened.
My apprehension is...since these bolts are so inaccessible to remove...how the heck would you get them back in?

2. Another option might be to lower the whole dash board...but what problems would be encountered there other than removing the windshield frame?

3. Third option is to possibly lower the instrument cluster. there are 4 nuts holding that in place. Two are on the sides and two are bottom center holding the map light in place.

Are there any other options that a reader has mastered and would recommend?

I look forward to your responses.

Posted on: 2020/11/21 14:56
 Top  Print 

Re: How to remove speedometer from '35-37 Senior
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Bob,

I have never worked on a senior car, although it was a ride in one in my youth that really got me hooked on Packard! I HAVE removed and reinstalled the speedometer in my '39 Six and I can relate to all your comments re clutter, accessibility and re-installation. Don't know if the screws you are dealing with are slot or Phillips, but mine were slot and the guy down at the local rope, soap and dope general supply store sold me what was called a 'screw starter'. You may be familiar, but if not, they are about the length of a standard pen and have a twist lock business on one end that you pre-load. You place the screw on the slot bit end and pull back a little collar and the screw is locked on to the device so you can reach in and restart it. One the threads engage, you just pull it off and use a regular screwdriver to tighten things up. I had tried magnetic drivers, even glue, to be able to have some 'reach' with the screws and nothing seemed to work. This little tool worked perfectly. Might be something of help to you when reassembling?? FWIW, I though removing my speedometer was going to be a real bear of a job, and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was, once I got down to it. I'm sure there are myriad differences between the senior and junior cars AND the year differences as well. Hope it goes well for you. Chris

Posted on: 2020/11/21 15:50
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved