Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
33 user(s) are online (25 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 33

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1955 Clipper Custom - New Owner, New to Packards
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

cortes121
See User information
Apologies if this is not the right forum for introductions, but wanted to introduce myself. I just bought my first Packard (well, junior car, I know its contentious if these are even "Packards" to some). I've been pouring over this amazing website, reading up on projects, and overall trying to get to know my car. This site and community seems like an excellent resource and great group of people. Hope to make some connections and learn some things. I'm new to Packard's - I've always loved them but being a younger guy with relatively little dough, they never were in the cards - until luck should have it I happened upon my Clipper Custom on Craigslist. She's fairly rough, but she's mine! I'm a huge fan of independent makes- I also own a '51 Kaiser Deluxe. Love finding the quirks and connections between the makes. For instance, Packard utilized Howard "Dutch" Darrin for some designs in the 30's, and he went on to style the Kaiser. Small world, automotively speaking.

The Clipper Custom I found has Power Brakes, Power Steering, Ultramatic, Power Antenna, Power Seat, Rear heater, and the higher end radio. Paint scheme is Moonstone /Tourmaline, with White a Charcoal flame interior. The Charcoal flame cloth is so cool, I never would have guessed it was factory and I'm sad that it appears to be out of production completely. In the car I found a letter from Packard to the Original owner, with the service policy listing the dealer. Using this websites dealer directory I was able to find the dealer and even a picture of the building! (Osborne Motors in Centralia, WA) Simply amazing.

Anyway, looking forward to getting her running and driving, and enjoying her as is for the time being.

Attach file:

jpg  (302.09 KB)
222607_5fbedec5254ce.jpg 1920X1440 px
heic Size: 1,454.45 KB; Hits: 109

jpg  (269.90 KB)
222607_5fbedf321d748.jpg 1441X1920 px

jpg  (218.06 KB)
222607_5fbedf48cb96a.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (213.49 KB)
222607_5fbedf5476f43.jpg 1441X1920 px

jpg  (335.05 KB)
222607_5fbedf66f0540.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (313.23 KB)
222607_5fbedf7403e60.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (231.33 KB)
222607_5fbedf81f0bc8.jpg 1920X1440 px
heic Size: 1,548.00 KB; Hits: 76

Posted on: 2020/11/25 17:50
- Anthony

1955 Packard Clipper Custom
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
 Top  Print 

Re: 1955 Clipper Custom - New Owner, New to Packards
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Welcome aboard. I hadn't seen this post when I saw your Clipper in the Owners Registry and posted this.

Posted on: 2020/11/25 17:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

cortes121
See User information
Ozstatman,

I posted this after your post - my apologies, I thought that post was automatic after I put the details in the Registry. I know you usually ask newbies to put their cars in the Registry, so I did that first. :)

- Anthony

Posted on: 2020/11/25 18:02
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Welcome! Glad to see this '55 Clipper finally has an appreciative owner to put it back in shape. I recall seeing the CL listing at various times.

A project blog in that section is a good idea, helps us follow your progress and address questions you have. Also, the search works well as many of the problems you will encounter have been discussed and solutions presented.

Anyway, welcome to the Packard world, please keep us apprised of your progress. Good luck!

Steve

Posted on: 2020/11/25 18:28
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Welcome Anthony! You picked the perfect section for your first post and I'm sure we're all looking forward to seeing your progress. The repair and restoration can be done by starting a Project Blog.

As for contention about your 1955 Packard Clipper being a Packard, you'll find none of that here! Even if it were a 1956 where Clipper was a separate make, you might get corrected about that tiny detail but otherwise you are most welcome.

I bought my first four or five Packards in Washington too as I lived in Bellevue then.

Posted on: 2020/11/25 18:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Welcome! Your 1955 Packard Clipper Custom sedan is a true blue Packard and the top model in the Clipper line. Does it have the Torsion Level suspension system? Recently view a Jay Leno's Garage where he featured his 1955 Caribbean and its TL system. Worth watching on You Tube.

Posted on: 2020/11/26 11:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

cortes121
See User information
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I'll definitely be starting a project blog. For now it will just focus on getting the car running and driving.

Don,

very cool to hear, I've seen one or two up here in the PNW

Steve,

Funny you mention the CL listing - the guy who sold it said only a handful of folks came out to see it - I was shocked.

JW,

It does indeed have the TL system. I've seen the video you mention - I actually had no idea the 55 had that system as even an option, so remarkably cool, and to think Imperial gets all the attention for Torsion Level systems. That is what I love about independents like the Packard, all the neat details that set them apart from the Big 3.

Posted on: 2020/11/26 17:25
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Imperial had intended on coming out with their torsion bar suspension earlier but when Packard announced their remarkable system, Imperial decided to wait so it didn't get introduced until the 1957 model year. Nearly all 1955 and 1956 Packards and Clippers have it although I understand it could be deleted on the Deluxe.

I actually bought my first Packard, a 1939 Six Touring Sedan which came with a 1940 110 parts car, up in Port Hadlock, WA and to date myself, it wasn't even quite an antique yet! Another 1940 110, sold new by the Packard Seattle Company, was purchased in Seattle and another parts car was given to me in Bellevue near where I lived clear up by and east of Redmond, walking distance from where Microsoft now is.

Posted on: 2020/11/26 17:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote: ...Nearly all 1955 and 1956 Packards and Clippers have it although I understand it could be deleted on the Deluxe...

Don, Correct. My 55 Clipper Super sedan had the conventional coil and leaf spring suspension. It rode and handled very well. The previous owner gave James Nance a ride in it to appear at a national convention. He remarked after the ride that he forgot how well these cars rode.

Addendum: Photos

Attach file:

jpeg  (253.33 KB)
565_5fc13b636d671.jpeg 1920X1357 px

jpeg  (115.40 KB)
565_5fc13b791436b.jpeg 1461X2079 px

Posted on: 2020/11/27 12:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
I do not know who the two people on the left are, but the other folks are Bee Hamlin (partially obscured), Dwight Heinmuller (owner of the car), George Hamlin (in glasses). James Nance, with Tom Dudgeon in the back seat (who accompanied Nance to Annapolis, and worked for him at the Central National Bank in Cleveland, and at his management consulting firm).

Posted on: 2020/11/27 16:20
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved