Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Headlight Bezels
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Ricky Dillinger
See User information
I have some nice headlight bezels or trim rings whatever you want to call them for my 50.But only one has a bracket to attach it to the car and I can't find replacements. I'm not sure if I even need this. But it's bugging me having the rings missing.

Attach file:

jpg  Packard Headlight Bezel.jpg (351.90 KB)
224850_6055ff4644fb8.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/3/20 8:58
 Top  Print   

Re: Headlight Bezels
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Since you have an original one, looks like it's simple enough to fabricate one from a couple items from the hardware store. The cost of headlight trim rings on eBay are over the moon, even missing parts such as rubber seal, and brackets like yours.

Posted on: 2021/3/20 9:23
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Ricky Dillinger
See User information
Thanks Joe. I may have to try that. I'd just rather have OEM. But I know that's a long shot.

Posted on: 2021/3/20 12:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might try Kanter. They show bezels on their website although sometimes their website does not keep up with inventory. It was a few years ago and as I recall, I had to wait while another batch was made for my 47 but they did arrive so maybe you will be lucky and they still offer them or have some for 50s in stock.

Attach file:

jpg  Kanter.jpg (58.09 KB)
209_605644c606a6c.jpg 1322X350 px

Posted on: 2021/3/20 13:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Ricky Dillinger
See User information
I did look a Kanter's website. But I got lost fast. I'm not good with computers. And I don't really know what I'm looking for. The little dewhickey that goes in the bezel. I don't even know what to call it. But thanks for the information. I'll call them. I try to avoid calling because I'm hard of hearing and don't do well on the phone. I can't hear what they're saying. Too many years of loud music.

Posted on: 2021/3/20 15:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think I see the issue. The bezel is held by a screw which threads into a press in capture nut and bracket that is part of the headlight bucket. That is the rusted part with nut in the left photo and it appears that item has broken spot welds and pulled off the bucket. If so and the bezels themselves are OK then you could make a repair by either drilling and using pop rivets or small sheetmetal screws to fasten the capture nut and bracket back to the bucket or maybe find another bucket that still has the hardware attached.

If the screw has rusted into the nut and cannot be removed you may need to supply a cage nut and screw. Do not recall the screw size -- probably 8 or 10-32 and I believe it takes a screw that has a head one size smaller than the screw size. Restoration Specialtieshttps://www.restorationspecialties.com has a few chrome screws with smaller head sizes and also various types of cage or capture nuts.

Posted on: 2021/3/20 16:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Check on your car and see if the little "w" shaped bracket is still on it.
It looks like on the left one, the bracket rivets pulled out. So if the right one was unscrewed, that part could still be attached to the car. There's no evidence of rivet on the right one, just a spot weld backing plate so the screw doesn't deform the thin SS.
I have rims off mine, so I can look and see how it's attached. I seem to remember though they just screw on. So the nut would be on the car, not the bezel. But it's been years, and the old man's memory fades. They're still around, but these are for 7" single lamp and are getting scarce, unless U find repops. They were made by the bulb companies, not car, if I recall and are more or less universal.

Posted on: 2021/3/24 19:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved