Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1937 120-c Steering Column tube
Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Before I attempt to take it off and create a problem for myself. Can just the tube itself be removed? I'd like to get it painted and painting it in the car has proved to be slightly difficult. I see a clamp on the bottom near the box that looks like it can be loosened via the bolt and up top there looks to be some type of clip inside that holds the washer/bearing in place. If I loosen the bolt and remove the top clip will it just slide right up and out? Is there anything else I'd need to be careful/aware of? Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2021/4/13 19:53
 Top  Print 

Re: 1937 120-c Steering Column tube
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I did not see much detail of the prewar column in the 35-41 parts book but on most the upper wide end below the wheel is welded to the actual column. There is what appears to be a bearing shown and one is listed so I would almost bet the column construction is similar to later columns.

The later columns must slide up into the passenger compt to come off the shaft so the steering wheel and a large compression spring needs to be removed. That also involves removing the horn wire. Later columns have a ball bearing at the top and in order to remove the column there is a concave split washer that is tight to the steering shaft which forms the inner race of the bearing. That split washer must be removed because if present the washer is so tight the column and bearing cannot push it up the shaft when you try to slide the column off. On some shafts there is also a lock ring in a groove around the shaft to further prevent the split washer from moving.

Before moving your column I would suggest taking a measurement of the distance between the bottom of the column and the steering box so you can get it back in close position. That will avoid possibly fighting to fix a different width gap between the column and wheel hub after the wheel is back on.

If there is a ball bearing on your column also suggest you take the opportunity to check its condition. Some have found the cage holding the balls to have worn or broken allowing the bearing to fall apart.

Here is a photo of the upper end of a 47 column showing the bearing and split washer. You might be able to use the photo for comparison to yours.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0483.jpg (108.41 KB)
209_6076480b2c94e.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2021/4/13 20:42
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Thanks HH56. Here's a couple pictures I just took. One is of the very bottom portion of the outer tube (column) and the other is the top portion where the steering wheel mounts to. I'm thinking I might be able to loosen the bottom portion via the bolt and the top, removing the lock ring and then the washer add then the bearing and then possibly being able to slip the tube up and out.

Attach file:

jpg  20210413_193924.jpg (429.85 KB)
200605_6076569460a68.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  20210413_193743.jpg (120.35 KB)
200605_607656a5b8724.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/4/13 21:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
My '38 Senior was held in by the lower clamp. I was able to loosen it and the tube just slid off. Mine is chrome, but I might replace it with polished stainless.

Posted on: 2021/4/14 8:06
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The bearing and mounting position is a bit different from the later style columns. If the 38 column just slides off, the split washer may not be as tight on the shaft as the later ones and the 37 column might simply slide off too. I would still measure from a reference point to try and get the column back in the same spot.

Posted on: 2021/4/14 8:57
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Quote:

blue40devil wrote:
My '38 Senior was held in by the lower clamp. I was able to loosen it and the tube just slid off. Mine is chrome, but I might replace it with polished stainless.

That sounds promising. Thanks

Posted on: 2021/4/14 10:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
The bearing and mounting position is a bit different from the later style columns. If the 38 column just slides off, the split washer may not be as tight on the shaft as the later ones and the 37 column might simply slide off too. I would still measure from a reference point to try and get the column back in the same spot.

That's always great advice! I usually am in the habit of making marks as well. Makes things easier in the long run, that's for sure. Thanks again for your input.

Posted on: 2021/4/14 10:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
Here is the attachment end of mine. Notice the compression slit.

Attach file:

jpg  Packard column.jpg (85.01 KB)
181435_60770ff7648e5.jpg 1632X1224 px

Posted on: 2021/4/14 10:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

blue40devil
See User information
The top end of yours looks like mine.

Posted on: 2021/4/14 10:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ElGroucho
See User information
Quote:

blue40devil wrote:
Here is the attachment end of mine. Notice the compression slit.

Thanks for the picture! Hopefully it's as easily done as you stated with no hiccups.

Posted on: 2021/4/14 11:57
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved