Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wiper Cables- need help with how to reinstall
Just popping in
Just popping in

Chris Reeves
See User information
Our Packard was repainted and the body guy removed the two bolts in the engine bay holding the tensioners inside the car. When the car was returned the cables were off the "cam" inside the car for both sides. The car is a 1956 Executive.

I'm at a loss on how the cables should be routed. I attached pictures, I'm not sure I have the cables on the right pulley of the tensioners inside the car, I labeled the cables "up", that cable when pulled moves the wiper from the resting spot to the up position. I searched and found the trick to hold the tensioners "open" or against the spring.

The pictures are of the tensioners with my notes on underside of the dash. The wiper cam is in the "home" position or resting when the wipers are turned off. The last picture is the wiper motor in "resting" position or off with the "arm" facing towards the passenger side.

Ok what am I missing, anyone have tricks to get them installed? What cable goes on which grove and do I have all the items at the right set up to run the cables?

Attach file:

jpg  Wiper tension assembly.jpg (192.56 KB)
224935_608f183eee69e.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  Wiper cam inside of car.jpg (131.22 KB)
224935_608f184f49aaa.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  wiper motor- wipers in rest position.jpg (131.67 KB)
224935_608f185f25a25.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2021/5/2 16:24
 Top  Print 

Re: Wiper Cables- need help with how to reinstall
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is an overall diagram of the cable layout on plate 43 in the parts book.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/partslist/viewplate.php?cat=11&PlateNumber=43&partslist=1955-1956

It looks like there is a pin on at least one of the idlers but check both sides. If the bolts were just removed without manually relieving the spring tension and pinning the idler pulleys they will need to be in the wound up state and pinned before placing the cables into position. Instructions are in the service manual instruments section starting around page 3 or 4.

Once the idlers are "wound up" and pinned and cables are in place but loose then follow the instructions on how to release the pin and springs when tensioning the cables (Hint: CAREFULLY and use a rag or gloves so you don't wind up with cut fingers and the pulleys do not snap too tightly into position). This illustration of how the cables fasten to the center drive is also in that section.

Attach file:

jpg  wiper drive.jpg (73.91 KB)
209_608f321a8436c.jpg 1156X722 px

Posted on: 2021/5/2 18:17
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Chris Reeves,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '56 Executive in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2021/5/2 18:45
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

point
See User information
its not that hard to do, if u have the manual, the cable ends are different color,if u noticed, thats what u go by

Posted on: 2021/5/2 23:18
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved