Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 153

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

The Search for Clips...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I am searching for a source for the clips that hold the rubber weather stripping to my doors. I was able to purchase the rubber profile from Steele and it was not cheap, but the clips, IIRC, were $2.30 each. Now I 'get it' that things cost, and don't mind paying a fair price, but when I got this tiny little bag with 120 clips in it and it was somewhere around $280.00, I got mad and sent them back! I found a bag of old clips in the trunk and have used those for 3 of the 4 doors and now I am down to the 4 left shown here in the picture. I need 36 of them to finish my last door and thought maybe someone might have a supply of used ones I could purchase for a reasonable price?? I have posted in the want-ads as well but thought I might get a lead on this forum too. Thanks in advance for any help or advice. Chris.

Attach file:

jpg  2021_06_16_0613R.JPG (142.29 KB)
121627_60ca99179e620.jpg 1732X1154 px

Posted on: 2021/6/16 19:38
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Re: The Search for Clips...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Not sure where to find them cheaper.
The places I use for these type parts are:
clipsandfasteners.com
restorationspecialties.com
imperialsupplies.com

They may not be made anymore, so may have to substitute. A tube of weatherstrip adhesive might solve your dilemma. Spread the clips out and glue in between.
Might talk to a local auto body or resto shop they might know where to get them. Either Steele made a run of them or they don't sell many. Cost a lot for inventory, the cost of money plus the cost to house and labor to inventory them.
When you're over the proverbial barrel, you have to cry uncle a lot. It's not like a walk down the local P dealer parts dept.
Maybe U get lucky, someone has some they can share, since you only need a few dozen.

Posted on: 2021/6/17 20:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening Chris...It seems to me that ACE Hardware has some such clips...you could look on line...Also check Bratton's Antique Auto...They do Model A Fords...but it seems to me that they have similar upholistry clips...Ernie Beached in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/6/17 22:08
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks Fish'n Jim & Ernie,
Appreciate the suggested sources and will certainly follow up. I see Steele's price for these is up 30% since the last time I bought from them, now $3 each! That's insane! Chris.

Posted on: 2021/6/18 3:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Well I'll be damned! Steel must arrogantly believe that they can command the price...I'll bet they don't make them, and purchase them from someone else...It would be really funny if ACE or Bratton's have the same thing for 0.75...Ernie Beached in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/6/18 9:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The Restoration Specialties online catalog shows a similar clip, number 1992-CLP under the Weatherstrip Clips category. $10 for pkg of 10

Posted on: 2021/6/18 13:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Nice...They are a quality restoration and parts business...I have been in their shop in Escondido, California a couple of times...Chris should be happy with their offereings...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/6/18 18:52
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Duncan Michael
See User information
Chris
I have no experience with the clips you have, however you may find a modern alternative here:
https://www.dixied.com/page140.html

Good luck

Posted on: 2021/6/18 19:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Brian, Ernie,
That is for sure the clip! I went in to Restoration Specialties' website and browsed all their 'Clips' and saw nothing even close. Not sure what I did wrong, but Ernie, when you said 'It would be really funny if ACE or Bratton's have the same thing for 0.75'... A buck a piece is pretty darn close!! Ewrecks is sending me some recycled ones and I will top up the count with a couple of bags from Restoration Specialties. Problem solved and I should be able to get my last door weather stripped and sealed up. Many thanks Brian for winnowing through all the options and tracking that down, Ewrecks for sharing your spares, and to Ernie & Jim for their advice and help. You guys are great. Chris.

Posted on: 2021/6/18 19:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Duncan Michael,
In my excitement at finding the clips through Restoration Specialties, I somehow missed your post. Sorry, and thanks for the suggestion. I DID go through Dixieland's weather strip fastener offerings, but could not find anything close or substitutable. Irrespective, appreciate your help and input. Chris.

Posted on: 2021/6/18 20:01
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved