Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Series 22nd Distributor Wires
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
OK...Im back in California and back at it on my dads Packard!!!

We got the Autolite distributor rebuilt. It is the unit that has the vacuum advance move the whole body of the distributor.

It came with a small external wire that has two eyelte ends on the wire. I do not remember where this wire goes.

The coil has two post (+) and (-)...strange that the service manual schematic does not specify the positive or negative of the coil.

The "17Y" wire from the ignition switch goes to the (+) side of the coil...

There is a very short lead that goes from the (-) post of the coil to the side of the distributor and that powers the capacitor of the coil and the points.

The overdrive has a wire and I believe this wire goes to the (-) side of the coil so that the ignition system is grounded and does not produce spark for the quick instance that the overdrive solenoid is moved to engage the overdrive.

OK...since the entire body of the distributor moves with the vacuum advance, the distributor body will need some kind of wire to electrically connect it to the block. I think that this is the small external wire that came back with the distributor...I presume one eyelet is connected to the vacuum advance pot mounting bracket but where is the other side supposed to go?

Thanks for the help!!!

Posted on: 2021/7/15 13:52
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Re: Series 22nd Distributor Wires
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Figured it out!!!

The small wire with the two eyelets is the bonding wire from the vacuum pot bracket to the distributor body...

The metal mount of the vacuum pot bracket is bolted to the engine block and since the distributor body moves back and forth it is on a bearing and that would not be a reliable path to ground so it looks like this little wire is the path.

Attach file:

jpg  Distributor.jpg (403.61 KB)
84982_60f0890413ccc.jpg 1920X1549 px

Posted on: 2021/7/15 14:14
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved