Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55 light switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
Looking for assistance in re assembling light switch. Spring loaded contactor flew apart during disassembling. I think the spring detent maybe as shown in the photo. The problem I have is a means of compressing the spring detent assembly, any suggestions. Happy

Attach file:

jpg  P8170012-1.jpg (70.40 KB)
4376_611c3c70aba3b.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2021/8/17 17:48
 Top  Print 

Re: 55 light switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Try this photo for the proper orientation.

Make sure you have the thin glide plate over the back terminal support plate before you start the final assembly. You might need to place a tiny dab of grease between the two plates so the glide plate will stay in position as you move the terminal plate around or turn it upside down to place it on the switch body. Note that the glide plate in my photo is damaged but not anywhere it will cause a problem. Yours will hopefully be completely smooth and not have any missing chunks.

Once you have everything aligned in the sliding metal box parts it is a matter of carefully pressing the two outer parts -- the actual switch box and the back terminal support plate -- together. I find it is easier to have the switch flat and place the support plate on from above. You may also find it helpful to use a small thin screwdriver to push and hold the contact plate and spring down inside the sliding box while you place the terminal support on the assy. However you do it be careful nothing moves out of position or is forced when the support plate pushes against the contact plate and compressed spring in the sliding metal box. You can then hold things together however you find it easier while you start rebending the tabs.

The orientation of the contact plate in the three functional switch positions is:
OFF: narrow end of contact plate rests on fiber so no connection to the battery terminals and everything is off.
PARK: narrow end makes connection to first BAT terminal, wide end connects PARK and TAIL terminals and park and tail lights come on.
HEAD: narrow end moves to second BAT terminal, the wide end moving disconnects PARK terminal and at the same time keeps TAIL terminal and connects to HEAD terminal. Park lights go off, tail lights stay on and headlights come on.

Attach file:

jpg  switch.jpg (267.85 KB)
209_611c5741ddca1.jpg 1600X1600 px

Posted on: 2021/8/17 19:41
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: 55 light switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
THANK YOU ! THANK YOU ! THANK YOU!
happy

Posted on: 2021/8/18 6:59
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved