Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Unknown Transmission bracket
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave Cz
See User information
I’m attempting to reinstall my engine/transmission assembly back into the car (55 400) and I’ve been gathering up the parts removed some 7 years ago. Not everything was well documented. I successfully located the gear selector bracket that attaches to the transmission and the two associated ½ x 20 x ½ inch bolts. But in the bag with the two bolts was another mystery bracket shown below.
No part number markings but with mountings holes that appear to the match up with the gear selector bracket.
Question: Any one recognize this bracket and what is its function. The two mounting bolts are short, but I can barely mount the two brackets together onto the transmission. Is this correct?
Once again for any assistance.

Attach file:

jpg  bracket.jpg (12.37 KB)
1321_6155d66a196bf.jpg 240X320 px

jpg  twoBrackets.jpg (12.88 KB)
1321_6155d6774077a.jpg 240X320 px

jpg  installedAssembly.jpg (13.52 KB)
1321_6155d68f0d983.jpg 240X320 px

Posted on: 2021/9/30 10:26
 Top  Print 

Re: Unknown Transmission bracket
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The odd bracket is to support the exhaust pipe. I have seldom seen one on a 55. Later cars had a support bracket that bolted on with the bell housing bolts and was thus about 5" further forward. Your bolts should be long enough to engage at least 6 threads into the trans case.

Posted on: 2021/9/30 11:19
 Top  Print 

Re: Unknown Transmission bracket
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dave Cz
See User information
Thank you Sir: That was it.
The smaller holes align exactly with a muffler clamp, and comparing with the other car, aligns with a joint in the exhaust pipe.
I was unable to observe that at first because the darn exhaust pipe was in the way.

Posted on: 2021/9/30 12:34
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved