Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
51 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 47

Peter Packard, humanpotatohybrid, BigKev, happy, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Electric Windshield Washer Pump for 6v cars
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Hi Folks,

I tried and tried (tried rebuilding my old one, including repairing the cracked acrylic piston, bought another NOS one and put new rubber on it, etc.) but could never get my vacuum-operated Trico windshield washer pump to work reliably. It might squirt a few times, then it wouldn't.

So I finally decided to see what I could do otherwise. I tried a few options and finally settled on the following items:

1) A Universal Trico 12V replacement, which I purchased for ~$10 from Amazon. Trico Part# 11-100. I installed this on the same bracket I had installed my remote brake reservoir.

2) A 50A-rated starter-button which I installed in the passenger compartment using the same bolt that holds the radio bracket.

3) I ran a tube from the pump to the existing washer jar, I just ran the tube through the center hole where the vacuum connection had been.

4) I wired the pump into the battery using a 20A inline fuse, but didn't put that through the ignition switch. Since the button is spring-loaded, it ensures that operation is only intermittent, and only when the button is depressed. I had to make sure the polarity was correct so that the "negative side" was coming off the battery and the positive side was going to ground.

Even though the pump is 12V, it still works fine! Now I have reliable squirts to both the drivers and passenger sides - the previous owner had plugged the passenger side, probably because the vacuum-operated one worked so poorly.

As a bonus, my vacuum wipers now work much better! Plugging the outlet to the Washer Pump was the key to improving things, since that valve was/is probably leaky, and the whole washer pump mechanism itself was leaky as well.

The nice thing is, because this setup uses the existing washer bottle and cover, unmodified, and does not drill any additional holes, the car can be easily converted back to stock within minutes if so desired.

Attach file:

jpg  20211021_134154.jpg (156.19 KB)
148538_6171d4b602c6c.jpg 1920X864 px

jpg  20211021_134255.jpg (153.94 KB)
148538_6171d4c28899f.jpg 1920X864 px

jpg  Trico_Pump.jpg (30.95 KB)
148538_6171d4df483da.jpg 679X428 px

jpg  50A_StarterButton.jpg (8.04 KB)
148538_6171d4f8c1243.jpg 425X425 px

jpg  20211021_134232.jpg (121.47 KB)
148538_6171d5fb00cf8.jpg 1920X864 px

Posted on: 2021/10/21 16:02
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Re: Electric Windshield Washer Pump for 6v cars
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Tim Stockwell
See User information
This is great advice! I am constantly learning more about how this car i am restoring used to be.

Tim

Posted on: 2021/11/5 18:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Did U use positive or negative ground?

The 12V pump should be negative ground, curious that it's running correctly. It may heat up, so I wouldn't use it for long periods.
They make a convertor for this, convert (+)6VDC to (-)12VDC. So you can run radios, etc.

Posted on: 2021/12/3 9:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
That pump actually runs backwards if you wire it backwards. So you have to run the negative side from the negative side of the battery, and the positive side to ground, because the car itself is 6V positive ground. Since it has 2 wires coming from the pump, setting it up that way isn't a problem.

None of those washer pumps are really designed for anything other than intermittent use, and at 6V it is actually not working as hard, so you can probably run it longer, all else being equal.

Posted on: 2021/12/3 11:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved