Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 131

Don Shields, Don B, CCR, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fan belt 1941 180
Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
OK, I thought I could do this without asking how, but nothing is easy. I am trying to get the fan belt off the pulleys on the '41 180 so I can replace the water pump. The fan blade is off and the generator has been slid as close to the block as it will go. The belt is definitely loose, but not loose enough to flop off the generator or water pump pulley. I am not looking to replace the fan belt, just get it off the pulleys. From what I have read in other posts, I realize I may have to raise the engine somewhat when I get to unbolting the water pump, but I don't think that is necessary for this step of getting the belt off. Is there any suggestion anyone can offer? When I do this on my '74 Chevy V8, loosening up the alternator gives more than enough slack to just flop the belt out with no problem. Please don't tell me I need to remove the generator.

Posted on: 2021/10/5 5:16
 Top  Print   

Re: Fan belt 1941 180
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Chances are the belt on your car is one size too short. Try slipping the fan pulley off of the waterpump shaft.

Posted on: 2021/10/5 6:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
So in that case, should I normally be expecting something akin to the Chevy belt referenced earlier, and that the fan belt should easily slide over one of the pulleys without having to try removing the water pump pulley or the generator?

Posted on: 2021/10/8 5:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The stiff wide v-belt and deep pulley groves together provide a challenge when installing or removing the belt. It will come off/on, but it can be a struggle. One way might be removing the generator which will allow the belt to be removed. Getting it back with the belt in the pulley will require some effort to line up the bolts on the bracket. I would not recommend using a narrower belt.

Posted on: 2021/10/8 11:49
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
When engine mounts are worn, you have to Jack up the engine to restore the spacing that allows you to get that big fan belt out. Some who knows what they are doing can tell you what the precautions are, what has to be loosened, etc. but that is usually the problem. Not enough clearance.

Attach file:

jpeg  9E62A297-465D-443A-8111-2F5525DF23CF.jpeg (151.93 KB)
1067_616746a5c7676.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/10/13 15:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
The fan belt is in good shape so I won't be needing to take it off this time although I am sure this engine mount repair looms somewhere down the road. I did have to call in reinforcements in the form of a friend who is much more experienced and much more fearless about doing all things mechanical. With his aid we got the belt off the pulleys and the water pump out. Hopefully it will all be going back together after I get back from vacation.

Posted on: 2021/10/14 5:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
Back from vacation and almost ready to reinstall the water pump and hoses as well as put in a new thermostat. It’s been a long time since I was on hand for this process so I would like to just cover my bases by asking should I be using some kind of sealer or shellac for the gaskets or hose attachment points? I have removed the old gaskets and emoried the machined surfaces on the block and head.

Posted on: 2021/10/27 15:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, I'd use a sealant on the waterpump gaskets and hoses. I'm partial to old-fashioned gasket shellac like Indian Head, I'd NOT use RTV.

Posted on: 2021/10/27 15:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I don't understand what is going on here because the water pump pulley is a separate piece that detaches from the water pump shaft, so if the fan is off the pulley will come off too and the belt with it.

It is very important to put a piece of cardboard or thin sheet plexi over the radiator fins to prevent soiling.

Posted on: 2021/10/27 15:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Tim Cole wrote:......It is very important to put a piece of cardboard or thin sheet plexi over the radiator fins to prevent soiling.

I second this, not only to prevent damage to the radiator. But also to prevent "damage" to the hands/fingers because of the confined space between the radiator and fan/pulley from any "cheese grater" type effect.

Posted on: 2021/10/27 19:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved