Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 115

Geocap, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1949 Station Wagon VIN ID #
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

auto.nut
See User information
I have a 1949 Station Wagon that I have owned for about 30 years and did not get around to restoring it. But now I cannot find the title. The state of WA only keeps title info for 5 or 7 years and then they delete it from their records. Ya that's really nice isn't it.
Anyway I lost the title, & could not find a VIN number and could only find a number on the cowl which is 805810. What kind of ID# is that? I gave them that number and they could not find it anywhere in their records. Thus they say I have to trailer the auto to the WA State Patrol, have to make an appointment and pay $65 etc and then wait three years to get a valid title. The only thing they do is to verify the VIN# I believe. If they cannot find one, then what? Now does that make any sense? I am a 91 year old person and have paid state licenses and other stuff for 66 years and this is how they treat you. Why do they purge their records after 5 years? My question is which ID number would the state of WA use to identify the automobile?? When I gave them the 805810 number that was perhaps the wrong number. But if not available anywhere in there records anymore it wouldn't make any difference if I had the correct number anyway.
Any help would be appreciated. Lee

Posted on: 2021/12/15 19:24
 Top  Print 

Re: 1949 Station Wagon VIN ID #
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Does Washington State have DMV licensed mobile VIN verifiers? I am one in California but not all states have them. Anyway, if that service is offered there, it might be a way to go but you’re right, that isn’t the VIN. It would be 22XX-XXXX or 23XX-9-XXXX depending on whether 22nd or 23rd series. Sorry, my answer is more generic for 1948-1950 in general rather than for the Station Sedans which I understand were all made together but I am not sure of the details.

Posted on: 2021/12/15 19:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The number you mentions sounds like it is the body ID or more commonly called by many the theft proof number. The number is embossed on the firewall usually inside a set of triangles and was used internally at Packard and not for any official use by any registering agency. I believe all those records disappeared with exception of a few numbers that have survived and were found on the official documents that accompanied the car delivery to dealers. Owen_Dyneto has been collecting those numbers over the years and there is a slim chance it might be among those in his collection but I doubt it would do any good as far as being anything you could use.

Some states used the motor number as the official number and other states used the 22xx number. No idea what WA might have used but do not feel alone as CA also has the same policy of purging the data if the car has not been registered for 5 years. We too have to call in a verifier or take the car to the highway patrol for inspection. On my 47, even with paperwork, since the embossed number is the only number on the car that can not be removed the inspecting officer insisted it be used as the official number and so it was.

Posted on: 2021/12/15 20:02
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
Just to confirm Lee, the VN plate is missing from the car? Or you can't find it? Look on top of the firewall on the driver side.. square plate with four screws. It does not look like a riveted VIN plate like you are use to seeing. Like others mine was titled to the embossed number you thought was the VN. If that plate is missing.. may be up the creek.
Mike

Posted on: 2021/12/15 21:15
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

auto.nut
See User information
I find the info on the '49 Station Wagon very difficult to find. In two price guides I have, they don't even list a Station Wagon. Also in 1949 they produced both the 22nd Series & the 23rd Series. All so confusing. This car never had a ID tag on the cowl like the 1942. Not sure it even had a VIN number. What series is this auto? Is it a 2301 or what?

Posted on: 2021/12/16 9:15
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Auto.nut, the most comprehensive source of information on the Station Sedans will be found in Bob Neal's superbly researched book "Packard 1948 To 1950", it will answer many of your questions. Chapter 12 is devoted entirely to the Station Sedans.

And almost with absolute certainty your car had a patent plate with the vehicle number. And without the original vehicle number it will be extremely difficult if not impossible to determine just where your vehicle fits within the production run of Station Sedans. Even the Briggs number is of doubtful value.

Posted on: 2021/12/16 10:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Autonut; Many states used the engine number for registration, 48 should start with G2. G for 48 and 2 for the 288 engine. I have collected information on about 40 station sedans over the past fifteen years that I have been restoring my 48. You might contact Dave Moe as he has a large collection of parts cars and might provide information.

Posted on: 2021/12/16 13:18

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
some of the nomenclature may be confusing you - previous posters have used the correct terms, but to summarize:

Packard called this model the Station Sedan, not a station wagon. It's a lot easier to see the 22nd vs 23rd series trim differences on the other body styles, but the difference is pretty immaterial on this model.

Cars did not have "VIN" numbers at this time. Packard had VN numbers on the patent plate screwed to the left upper cowl under the hood, the body number/"theft proof number" stamped into the cowl on the right side, and an engine number on the block. These numbers do not match.

there is not uniformity on how states do this. I would suggest that if WA uses any of them as a basis for title you are OK.

Posted on: 2021/12/17 8:05
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

auto.nut
See User information
My Station Sedan had no ID plate that was ever attached to identify the auto. I find this rather strange since all the other Packards I own had a plate on the drivers side upper cowl.
Would like to know of many other station sedans are out there. Also would like to correspond to a few. Any idea of where might be the best place to get this information? I do not have a current roster unfortunately. Is there a Station Sedan expert out there to get help from?
Lee
Want to sell. Mostly complete but needs total restoration. What should I ask?

Posted on: 2022/7/15 15:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Hi Lee, sorry to hear about your difficulties with registration. Would you mind posting some pictures of the car? "Needs restoration" could mean anything from $500 to $5000+.

Posted on: 2022/7/15 16:21
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved