Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Water in the Oil: 1930 Packard 7-40 Super 8
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Rich1028
See User information
Going through making progress in rehab'ing a lot in the engine compartment...new head/exhaust gaskets, carb, etc.

The latest: I drained the oil and it looks as if I have water (antifreeze) mixed in with the oil. When drained into a pan, there is major separation with a layer of oil on top and a greenish sludge on the bottom. It does not resemble clean or dirty oil at at.

So my questions and areas where I need assistance:

-Where other than the head gasket can the antifreeze be mixing with the oil?

-I've removed, cleaned and inspected the head and it looks good...no cracks, no issues.

-I am changing the head gasket.

-If the block has a crack, where do I need to look for the crack...ie, are there places on the Super 8 engine that are prone to cracks?

-Where else, what parts of the car do i need to look at for why/how this water is getting into the engine oil.

-When I get home I will post a few photos that I took of the oil/sludge mixture.

I am hoping, so much, that this is some kind of one-off and water somehow got in here through a bad gasket or something else. Pending finding any cracks, I am going to reassemble, fill the oil, run it for a while and see if the oil remains clean or is starting to mix again with water.

Any help, suggestions or recommendations with your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich

Posted on: 2022/1/5 14:52
 Top  Print 

Re: Water in the Oil: 1930 Packard 7-40 Super 8
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For the block I'd first check for cracks at the valve seats, especially the exhaust seats. And then across the top surface of the block towards and including the cylinder walls.

Posted on: 2022/1/5 17:26
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved