Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 166

Tom (Packin31), DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Mystery Switch
Just popping in
Just popping in

Zim
See User information
Hello Packard Sleuths!
Getting ready to replace wiring harness on my 1954 Panama Super Clipper, but, there is a switch on the left side of the dash that I have no idea what it's function is. It does not show up one the owners manual and I'm stumped!

Thanks for your help!

Attach file:

jpg  mystery switch.jpg (155.16 KB)
225346_61e705f93b423.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/1/18 13:26
 Top  Print 

Re: Mystery Switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
IIRC that's to raise and lower the power antenna.

Posted on: 2022/1/18 13:27
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Zim
See User information
Wow, problem is, the antenna is manual. Is a power antenna a stock item, and is there a replacement available?

Posted on: 2022/1/18 13:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The electric antenna was optional but the switch could also be for a rear seat speaker which would have also been located in that left side area. Packard provided suggestions on where option switch positions were to be locatedhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=6467&cid=99 but if a customer wanted different or if there was only a single option involved not all dealers followed the recommendations.

I cannot tell from the photo if there is a slight 1/8" or a bit larger gap between the knob end and bezel nut but if so and if the knob pushes and pulls, it was for an antenna. If no gap and it only rotates it could be for a rear seat speaker. It could also be a true mystery switch for something aftermarket that might have been installed and removed by a previous owner.

Posted on: 2022/1/18 13:43
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The rear speaker fader was in that area but interesting that your knob does not match the others. Maybe someone added it as it does appear to be in a similar place as the power antenna switch. If it rotates but does not push of pull, then it definitely not an antenna switch!

Posted on: 2022/1/18 16:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Where that knob is positioned is for power antenna. Below it would be for the rear speaker. At least that's how they are on my Panama, and mine are factory.

My guess is that the car originally had a power antenna that failed. A previous owner probably removed it and tried to replace it with a non-Packard one (hence the knob) then gave up and put in a manual antenna.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2022/1/19 17:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe that is a 51-2 knob and it is possible a former owner bought the setup at a swap meet and installed it in the 54 for whatever it does or was going to be be used for.

Posted on: 2022/1/19 17:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved