Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
179 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 179

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rebodying for '48-'54 Packard Chassis
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

There seems to be abundance of unrestored 22nd Series through 54th Series cars, especially junior models, scattered all over the country that turn up with regularity for sale on Ebay, Craigslists and other sources.

Unhappily, a goodly number of these cars are in quite rough condition, likely to never be restored, at best used as parts cars or at worse, just end up lost to scrap.

I wonder if a project to create a design faithful '40 or '41 Darrin victoria replica body designed to mount on a restored chassis from these cars would be a worthwhile to pursue?

The difference in wheelbase length of the 120" and 122" chassis versus the 127" would have to be accommodated, might be done by offering two different hood lengths dependent upon the chassis to receive the body.

This would make more affordable a drivable Packard Darrin, still allowing the person to experience the road qualities of a Packard, just wrapped in a luscious design.

Is there a market? Your thoughts?

Steve

Posted on: 2009/1/8 18:38
 Top  Print 

Re: Rebodying for '48-'54 Packard Chassis
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
While this might be worthwhile with some Ford,Chevy,or Chryslers.....I doubt the Packard crowd would be to happy seeing a bunch of modern Darrin Bodied clone cars running around even if they were on Packard chassis. The Darrins were admired because they are rare and beautiful originals. Maybe some of the open 30's Packards with the rumble seat.

Replicas are always a touchy subject I find. In 1978-1980 Harry Shay (Shay Motor Corporation) contracted with Ford Motor Company to make fiberglass bodies of the 1955 t-bird & the 1930 Model A. Ford would supply the Pinto or Fox chassis with 4 or 6 cylinder running gears. Some of them even sold at Ford Dealerships. They were met with great hostility from the Classic car communities because some of the folks who bought them claimed that since they were bought from a Ford dealer, with a Ford chassis they should be judged with the original cars (Thunderbird club of America & the Model A clubs). These "Shay Birds" & "Shay A's" are snickered at even today.

http://www.geocities.com/shaymodela/HistoryShay.html

Just my 2 cents on it.

Posted on: 2009/1/8 19:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
I'm not sure those chassis would have the right dimensions to be able to build a convincing Darrin. I would expect the later cars to be wider, which would wreak havoc with the proportions of the replica Darrin.

Posted on: 2009/1/8 19:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I'm also willing to bet that in 6 months to a year the economy will be so bad that you couldn't give them away.

Posted on: 2009/1/8 21:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THe fastest, cheapest and easiest way to get a car back on the road is to do like this :

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=19556&topic_id=2048&#forumpost19556

If i had alot of 48-54's that's what i'd do. Maybe an update to the headlite styling too.

Rust is also an issue on ANY car.

Posted on: 2009/1/9 8:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
It wouldn't work. The engine is too far forward and the frame is the wrong shape.

You would have to build a new chassis to take the engine suspension etc.

Or, just buy a derelict 40 or 41 and build a Darrin. I believe Darrin himself started with a stock coupe or sedan, and used as many Packard body parts as possible.

If you find a cheap 40 or 41 with wrecked interior, missing parts etc I don't see any reason not to turn it into a Darrin replica.

Posted on: 2009/1/28 17:45
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved