Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
170 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 169

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Replace Water Pump in a 1955
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I need to replace the water pump. Is there enough clearance to remove it without taking the radiator out?

Posted on: 2022/2/28 16:21
 Top  Print 

Re: Replace Water Pump in a 1955
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, there is enough room without removing the radiator. Of course remove the fan first. When reinstalling, a short threaded stud in the fan hub will make it much easier to locate the first bolt.

Posted on: 2022/2/28 16:27
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dave - thanks for input. The pump is out and the fan blade & hub repainted. Tight fit and the use of a short stud or two seems like a necessity.

I didn't want to get to the point where all the pump stuff was loose and just hanging there only to figure out the radiator must come out. It would seem that the 6 or so bolts holding the radiator were easy, but that short hose at the bottom looked like a nightmare from hades.

The last install had the oiling hole at 9 o'clock. I'm planning on at noon. They had also used copper washers on the pump.

Posted on: 2022/2/28 19:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Uh, that is not an oiling hole, that is a weep hole. It goes at 6 o'clock. And yes, you want the copper washers.

Posted on: 2022/2/28 19:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
The bottom hose Inst that bad.

Use a molded hose. Soft and flexible..

Posted on: 2022/3/1 12:54
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
When I replaced the pump a while back on my 1956 Clipper, I special-ordered a supply of the copper washers as they were unavailable locally. Since the pump I put in was also used and unrebuilt, I bought several sets of the washers for the eventuality of rebuilding it as they typically should be used only once.

Posted on: 2022/3/1 15:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Thanks for all the "Words of Wisdom". The pump is in. I ordered copper washers (Package of 20)from McMaster & Carr got them overnight.

Posted on: 2022/3/1 18:48
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved