Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 148

Packard Don, todd landis, BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Noisy brakes until they warm up {36 std 8}
Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Hi all,

I noticed as of late that my brakes make a really loud sound when I first apply them at relatively slow speeds (10 to 20 mph). Once I get going and apply them from higher speeds the noise goes away (although not completely). I changed the springs and the linings look OK (haven't really driven the car much since I changed the shoes - maybe 500 miles).

Just curious if anyone has had a similar experience and if there's a cure...

The braked were quiet when I first finished the restoration but that was some time ago.

Thanks in advance,
Crin

Posted on: 2022/4/16 20:58
 Top  Print 

Re: Noisy brakes until they warm up {36 std 8}
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sorry you're having problems, those Bendix power-boosted mechanical brakes were just excellent. Can you narrow the noise to any specific wheel or wheels? Are the brakes well equalized and all the cables more or less equally relaxed when the brakes are off? Most often squeal is associated with incorrect shoe adjustments.

Are the drum anti-squeal springs still present? These are the springs around the drum perimeter inboard by the backing plate and dust shield? I'm not sure how effective they were but that was their purpose. And not quite a match for your symptoms.

EDIT: Adding the 1934 Service Letter discussing the anti-squeal springs. Note the dust shields, unfortunately all to often discarded as years passed.

Attach file:

jpg  Anti squeal drum springs.jpg (358.64 KB)
177_625c133a30b15.jpg 1142X1588 px

Posted on: 2022/4/16 21:10
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved