Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

115C Rumble Seat Opening Gasket
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
What are members using for the rumble seat opening gasket on the 1937 115C and 120C Convertible Coupes? The channel is 3/4 inch wide and the gasket needs to be 7/8 inch high. Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 14:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: 115C Rumble Seat Opening Gasket
Home away from home
Home away from home

saltydog
See User information
Glue weather stripping (think STEELE PRODS.)to the rumble seat lid and leave the channels open as the water flows into drains behind the seat. Check for rust out in the drain trough. Greg

Posted on: 2009/4/10 17:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Weatherstripping? I've seen leather wrapped in that area on the lid, matching the seat.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 8:52
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Thanks saltydog and West. I may have solved the problem.

Steele does not list a gasket/weatherstrip for this area.

I bought some 3/4 inch wide by 7/16 inch thick adhesive-backed foam rubber weatherstrip. I stuck two rolls of this weatherstripping together (adhesive-back to adhesive-back) and installed them into the channel surrounding the rumble seat opening. It ended up being a bit too shallow or thin, so I stuck some 3/4 inch wide by 5/6 inch thick adhesive-backed from weatherstrip on top of the ones previously installed. This seems to be working, and looks presentable.

No sign of rust in the channel, and in spite of deteriorated condition of the old weatherstrip/gasket there was no water leakage into the compartment.

Flackmaster, what would you have used?

Posted on: 2009/4/14 10:32
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
I am curious about this gasket so I looked in the Service Parts List but can't find any call out for this gasket.

Did Packard leave out items in the Part List?

Posted on: 2009/4/14 11:06
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Tom
I have looked at this area on many, many cars (Packards), and I strongly believe that the area is supposed to be sealed (trimmed) with leather.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 11:21
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Did Packard leave out items in the Part List?

For sure they wouldn't have omitted anything intentionally. I don't have that parts list to check but I'd be amazed if it wasn't there somewhere.

But based on the 1936 model, the weatherstripping for the rumble goes on the LID, not in the channel. And only on 2 sides and the top, NOT at the bottom, Otherwise as saltydog has already been pointed out it will seal off the drain hole. I'm told it's in the Steele catalog, a friend just bought it and installed it on his, #30-0308-87. For the little trunk lid, he used 30-144-87, and that actually goes in the channel, not on the lid. I'm assuming 36 and 37 are quite similar. This data from a recent AACA Senior and Parkin award winner, restored by a meticulous fanatic over correctness who researched his restoration very thoroughly. I'm sure he'd be open to calls if you need help, Sal Saiya in Franklin Lakes, NJ. 201-891-2090, long time PAC member.

EDIT - let me share a picture of Sal's outstanding restoration.

Attach file:

jpg  (142.57 KB)
177_49e4c388d6d02.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/4/14 11:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
It be nice if there was a survivor where someone can get some snap shots for our records. Or a restored one.

I will need them when it comes time to do the Leather work around the rumble seat area.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 11:26
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Dave, thanks for the reference. I will give Sal a call, and share his words with the forum.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 12:06
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Dave, I spoke with Sal, and he was most helpful. Indeed, the gasket/weather seal goes on the rumble seat lid, not in the channel, as mine was incorrectly installed. He also confirmed the Steele numbers for the RS lid and trunk lid. Thanks a bunch.

Posted on: 2009/4/14 12:16
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved