Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 120

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Under dash insulation replacement and “while you’re there”
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Kapn
See User information
I’m rewiring my 48 Station Sedan and have pulled the dash apart. What is a good replacement for the brown pine straw insulation that was falling apart? Any suggestions on lubing the wiper assembly or heat/air cables?

Posted on: 2022/5/9 5:27
 Top  Print 

Re: Under dash insulation replacement and “while you’re there”
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You may not find the exact thickness but jute padding is still available although it does not look quite the same. Do a search on Amazon or ebay for jute carpet padding. It comes in a couple of thicknesses which you could layer together. Others have also used the compressed fiberglass pads which is frequently found used as hood insulation. The universal fit pads are available in approx 4' x 5' sheets and about 1 inch thick. A google search turns up a few vendors.

The various wiper pulleys need a drop or two of oil at the center bearings and you could wipe down the cables to get the dust off. There is not much that can be accessed in the outside wiper pivots where the arms attach. A drop of oil on the arm shafts maybe but anything on the inside is pressed on and not removable. There is a procedure for lubing the vacuum wiper motor internals in one of the late 47 or a 48 service counselor but IMO, that is kind of iffy and may not do much if the motor is old and worn. You would have better luck to just use the downtime opportunity to send the motor to FIcken Wiper Servicehttps://rebuildingtricowipers.com and have the motor rebuilt to like new condition.

I have had luck lubricating other style Bowden cables by coiling them as tightly as possible making sure the coil is not tight enough to kink or otherwise damage the cables. Coiling will allow the wrapped around outer housing wire to open slightly between the coils so oil can get inside to the operating wire. If the cables are rusty you can secure the coiled cable assy with a couple of tie wraps so as to allow them to sit and soak for some time in a small pan of light penetrating oil followed by a good application of proper oil. Have not done any with the attached operating mechanism so not sure how much liquid would get into the mechanism or if any should be allowed in but as I recall those are fairly sealed and should not need a lot of lube.

Posted on: 2022/5/9 8:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Kapn; If you can't get your control cables to work let me know what you need as I have some extras. The picture is what I started with and what a little money and a lot of time can get you, almost done.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_2260.jpeg (180.33 KB)
1697_62795b0f75734.jpeg 1440X1920 px

jpg  1.jpg (77.83 KB)
1697_6279602c98c39.jpg 933X700 px

Posted on: 2022/5/9 13:19

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Kapn
See User information
Thanks for the feedback.
That's a beautiful color on your station sedan!

I'll hit them with some oil. They were working, several years ago last they were used.

Has anyone had any luck using a mitivac or even an Air conditioning vacuum pump to test and operate them while the car is disabled?

Posted on: 2022/5/10 12:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Has anyone had any luck using a mitivac or even an Air conditioning vacuum pump to test and operate them while the car is disabled?

Operate which components? A stock Packard only has one vacuum operated item and for most models that is the wiper motor. If it has the optional windshield washer, vacuum antenna, or rear window wiper then possibly three more. Taxis also could have vacuum operated rear tilt out windows. Anything else would have been aftermarket. An AC vacuum pump could operate any of those items but doubt if the mitivac would have enough volume to do a real test. If you squeezed long and hard enough it might slightly or slowly move an item.

If you are referring to the Bowden cables and any heater/vent control items, those are entirely mechanical and operated by hand power directly by the Bowden cables moving a component.

Posted on: 2022/5/10 13:12
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Kapn
See User information
Just looking to test the wiper motor while the dash is apart.

Lubing the bowden cables is on my list of things to do as well. They are stiff and maybe it's just the pivot point of the flaps they operate.

Posted on: 2022/5/10 13:18
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Most likely the cables. The flaps have fairly sloppy holes with just a heavy wire like shaft that holds the flappers going thru them. It is possible the shaft retainers could be tight or the rubber seal on the flaps could be dry, cracked or dragging.

Testing the wiper motor without everything hooked up is iffy. They can go like a bat out of ---- when sitting by themselves unloaded. As soon as you connect the components and particularly the blades, the extra drag is too much if the seals on the paddle inside the motor are worn. The motor will barely move if it does at all under those conditions and it will need the AC pump to get sufficient volume..

Posted on: 2022/5/10 13:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
Just looking to test the wiper motor while the dash is apart.

On my 1948 Henney-Packard, the wiper motor was on the firewall in the engine compartment so can be tested at any time whether or not the dash is apart.

Posted on: 2022/5/10 13:45
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Kapn
See User information
What's the best practice for making sure the bowdin cables are lubed and ready for another 74 years?

Posted on: 2022/5/17 8:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is not a lot you can do as far as taking them apart to access the inner surfaces. Scroll up and check out the last paragraph in post #2 in this same thread for a method I have had reasonable success with on dirty or maybe slightly rusted vent control cables. This has also worked on some stuck Overdrive lockout cables. On the OD cables there is the additional issue of a steel shaft sliding inside a steel tube or sleeve at the transmission end.

If the cables have been around enough water to have completely rusted the inner wire and outer housing wire coil surfaces together then there is not much that will be successful other than replacing the cables.

Posted on: 2022/5/17 10:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved