Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rescreened cowl delivery plaques
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
At the risk of lost motion, I'll ask a third time over these many years on PI:
Does anyone simply re-silkscreen our existing cowl data plaques?

Again...we k n o w we can buy a reproduction. But some of us want to keep our original, which at least in my '47's case, has the dealer's signature inscribed, the serial number stamped into the metal.

A wee thing, but it's part of the car's past, heritage, unlike new hydraulic valve lifters, an oil filter, tires, a bushing, etc.

Comprendre, comprender?

Merci, grazie, profound thanks, but please, p l e a s e don't tell me how i can do this myself. Not a fan of the "you getcha a" school.

Posted on: 2022/5/24 15:52
 Top  Print 

Re: Rescreened cowl delivery plaques
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Mike, I would work with William Clark in Texas
clarkwc@aol.com

Take a photo of what you've got and send it. I don't know if he can redo your original plate. I think he starts with a black plate, but not sure.

I kept my original but as you can see, not much to work with, so I re-created it (Bill did) as close as possible.

Mine was rubber stamped with the date, place and EAC logo, so I had rubber stamps made for that part.
The original (as I remember from when I was a kid) was not perfectly rubber-stamped, so I copied that.

He lasered the VIN-Number. (I bought some numbers close in style to what Packard used, but not identical. I had a devil of a time trying to punch them straight, so I gave up on that.

I'm really happy with how mine came out. I took it to VanNess and the sales guys were impressed.

Attach file:

jpg  OrigPackardVINPlate.jpg (266.48 KB)
1067_628d67d37dd45.jpg 1395X1920 px

jpg  VINPlate40Packard.JPG (564.45 KB)
1067_628d67ea7418b.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/5/24 18:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
be careful and know your state rules.
I saw a news item some guy had restored his corvette and used pop rivets to attach the plate, and the DMV impounded the car and it's slated to demolished as contraband under some silly theft law. He's spent 80K in legal fees trying to get it back so far, not counting the cost of resto.
I've seen this in other states, so find out before you do anything irrepairable and potentially illegal in your jurisdiction. It's a state's right not federal, so act accordingly. And those purchasing a vehicle with modified ID need to understand the rules if you bring into the state. Packards are "weird" and don't follow the other brands, so that's a red flag to the agencies, too.
I just went through 8 months of "hell" over a title feud with the SC DMV and a NC dealer. I finally, had to file a complaint in NC DMV to "motivate" the dealer by a guy with a gun and badge, so to speak. Sometimes, like during covid, they also want to make an "example" our of your case.

Posted on: 2022/5/25 8:25
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Mike, even if you find someone to do the rescreening, by the time the plate is cleaned of the old silkscreening I wonder if the signature and dates would still be in pristine condition. They were stamped with supposedly indelible ink but even with masking I wonder if chemicals that did a decent job of removing the old silkscreen would also run a serious risk of damaging any masking and find the ink. You may need to go the route Joe did.

Posted on: 2022/5/25 9:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
I know the ancient ink of which you speak. No, my data plate is stamped with the delivery date, serial number, and the dealer's name is deeply scratched into the metal.

My plate has long since been polished to bare metal, so only a matter of wiping it with alcohol or whatever the printer uses before re-inking, silkscreening, whatever.

I am sure many other Packard owners are in the same situation, and would like having their originals re-inked.

The gory details of the process are of no interest to me. I'm only interested in spurring some can-do kinda guy into re-inking our plates.

Perhaps much ado about nothing to many, but again, this plate has the dealer's own signature, all else stamped into the metal, so do not want a reproduction whether from Taiwan or Nebraska. I want mine re-inked.

Mike Grimes at Merritt Packard Parts, suggests the below. I urge you to contact Mike for any needed part 800-472-2573 ext. 6, 317-736-6233 ext. 6, mike@packardparts.com
www.packardparts.com

"I owned a digital print business several years ago. Even then we could digitally print on a clear adhesive medium and the customer could apply it over industrial equipment stainless info plates. Perhaps you could get a local print shop to do the same for you. Back then we would have charged $75/hour for the design and another $75 to print one. With a good source document to scan, a designer should knock this out in 30 minutes. We would have printed 10 for $100. A crazy idea, but an idea non-the-less."

Any signage, lithographer, silkscreen company owners reading these forums who can do this for his fellow Packardites? We mail you a piece of tin, you re-ink it, send it back. Not too complicated. We'll pay an extra five bucks if we don't have to endure a printing technothon online seminar or endless discussion.

Adjusted for a couple years' inflation, what, $25 to re-ink a piece of tin? Can do?

Good thing some of us here gathered weren't running Crosley, let alone Packard, or a car would never have left the factory.

Posted on: 2022/5/25 18:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
Quote:

su8overdrive wrote:
I know the ancient ink of which you speak. No, my data plate is stamped with the delivery date, serial number, and the dealer's name is deeply scratched into the metal.

My plate has long since been polished to bare metal, so only a matter of wiping it with alcohol or whatever the printer uses before re-inking, silkscreening, whatever.

I am sure many other Packard owners are in the same situation, and would like to simply have their originals re-inked.

The gory details of the process are of no interest to me. I'm only interested in spurring some can-do kinda guy into re-inking our plates.

Perhaps much ado about nothing to many, but again, this plate has the dealer's own signature, all else stamped into the metal, so do not want a reproduction whether from Taiwan or Nebraska. I want mine re-inked.

I hesitated reposting this request because i'm getting a lot of "you getcha a's" but no action.

Any signage, lithographer, silkscreen company owners reading these forums who can do this without making us attend an online seminar?

Have you thought about trying to contact one of the suppliers of repro plates? May be a longshot that they would treat yours as a blank, but could be your best shot.

Mine has none of the black left, some light pitting and someone scratched the anti-theft # on top (it was titled/registered to that number.. why someone scratched that in??). No value to me having it done. The last owner had to look for it for two days before I would buy the car. It's not leaving my sight, it's the one irreplaceable part that confirms provenance of the car along with the Briggs tag. I'll get a reproduction to place on top of the original beneath and call it a day.

Mike

Posted on: 2022/5/25 19:00
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Of course. I asked. For some reason the repro characters won't re-ink our originals. Hence this apparently fruitless post.

Sorry yours buggered. Mine and many others just need to be

re-inked.

Is my previous post in Latin?

Posted on: 2022/5/25 19:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
Just because you didn't find what you are looking for here.. I wouldn't necessarily give up, the technology does exist.

Years ago, I worked in a plant that did silk-screening to coat spandrel glass. We also had a technology to coat Polyvinyl Butyl interlayers with inorganic inks for laminated safety glass. This technology was owned by DuPont and licensed to us (we were one of three). The process utilized a Mimaki printer. We had the ability to scan any image (photographs) and print it out. The technology started in Australia and was very popular for memorials at cemeteries. Ghostly images were printed with Titania (gradients of white). They were backlit and were amazing to see.

If I were you, I would contact print shops within a radius you are willing to drive to, to scan a reproduction plate and print onto yours. Silk-screening won't be an option unless you get a large number of folks to help amortize those costs. If you look long enough and hard enough, one will materialize. Your greatest challenge will be finding one that prints a coating that will stand the test of time.

Mike

Posted on: 2022/5/25 20:58
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved