Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
133 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 133

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Distributor 53 Clipper 288
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
All, my distributor is wore slap out. Eating the brass away in cap. Shaft wobbles back and forth to where points gap is all over the place. What is being used as a replacement? Anyone replacing with electronics? Thanks in advance

Posted on: 2022/7/2 12:58
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print 

Re: Distributor 53 Clipper 288
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Even with a electronic conversion (which are, I hear, dodgy with the 6-volt electrics) you will still need the bushings in good condition, because it operates from a modified cap and rotor.

I got mine rebuilt, new bushings, etc. by these guys:

http://www.buchananautoelectric.com/

It's a standard Delco distributor (or Autolite) used on lots of Detroit iron, so the parts aren't a problem.

Posted on: 2022/7/2 13:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Rebushing your unit is straight forward and not complicated.

Posted on: 2022/7/2 13:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
I need some assistance with my distributor. Can’t find a rebuilt one. I have emailed a couple of companies in CA about rebuilding mine and they haven’t responded. So, I guess I will undertake rebuilding mine. Where do I find the parts? I am striking out with my searches. It is a Delco remy unit. Thanks in advance

Posted on: 2022/7/7 17:47

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Hi Steve,

I wouldn't email Buchannan, I would call them. They are very old school that way.

Jerome

Posted on: 2022/7/7 17:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Also, here's what's listed at the Kanter Website for 48-54 Packards for distributors:

Kanter 1948-54 Packard Parts

GROUP
4.03001 ---- Distributor
specify Autolite or Delco and tag number
4.03001 ---- Distributor, rebuilt, Exchange or add deposit of $95.00 $219.00 - See Note #1
4.03001 ---- Distributor with Petronix conversion, Exchange or add deposit of $115.00
(4.999) ---- Tune-up kit: contains points, condenser, cap, rotorand spark plugs
Please advise if your distributor is Autolite or Delco. (23rd series advise if 10mm or 14mm spark plugs) $78.00
4.0305 ---- Points and condenser, replacement set $25.00
4.o305 ---- Points and condensor,1948-54 Autolite style new-old-stock points $39.00
4.0317 ---- Breaker plate (with points and condenser) most models available $140.00
4.0317 ---- Distributor bushing set of 2 $24.00
4.0317 ---- Cap and rotor $49.00
4.0317 ---- Vacuum advance Autolite, Exchange only $155.00 - See Note #1
4.0317 ---- Vacuum advance Delco, Exchange or add $50 deposit - See Note #1 $145.00

Posted on: 2022/7/7 17:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If you can't find a local rebuild shop, many come up on search, they are out there. If it's that bad, it might need more extensive work though than just bushings, I'd be scouting a spare/core.
Brillman.com has some of the parts for distributors. Call if they don't show on line.
There are other people with delco parts under other GM brands. You'd have to search. The obsolete Delco parts aren't available from them anymore. They used to let you look it up on line but that got sticky too.
Actually any competent machine shop should be able to correct the bushings. This used to be more common, you could go to the local parts and get those small parts, but the computer and throw away/reman parts kinda did that in. Usually came with some advice on how to do it if you hadn't done before, or the corner garage. Those were the days.... Pull into one of the chain shops now and get laughed at when it's not on their computer.
A distributor machine is another lost art here, but there's some out there. I keep passing them up as I don't want the expense and floor space tied up with something I'd use once or twice.

Posted on: 2022/7/7 20:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
Thanks guys. I will call Kanter

Posted on: 2022/7/7 20:20

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Here is the SUN distributor machine in action.

There is a crank to increase the rpm and check whether the dwell is stable (if not either worn bushing, worn breaker cam, worn mechanical advance, worn breaker point spring).

The position for number one cylinder is set using a calibrated plate on the face of the machine and when the machine is running the lights for the other cylinder should be in the correct positions and steady.

On the top of the machine is a roll index that has the specs for various distributors which, if present, should match the manual. As the rpm is increased the position of the lights should move with the mechanical advance. Performance tuners used these machines to set the advance curves to match the cam and compression ratios. I knew one engineer who was fired and used this machine to set up drag race motors. He got rich. Another feature is to dial in and check the vacuum advancer. Condenser condition is another test.

A performance tuner can use this machine to match the advance curve to the compression ratios of a particular car. I've seen that done to increase the horsepower on a stock motor by 40 hp on the dyno. I'm sure a lot of Packards would benefit from something like that and run cooler as well.

Attach file:

png  Snapshot 1 (7-8-2022 7-13 AM).png (86.63 KB)
373_62c81672d5d11.png 458X258 px

Posted on: 2022/7/8 6:35
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Not sure about replacing bushings in a Delco... I do know replacing the bushings in an autolite is pretty straightforward. Alterntively, I have an autolite unit sitting on the shelf here, new bushings installed that you are welcome to for a donation to the site. The experts can certainly comment on which is better or otherwise.

DAF

Posted on: 2022/7/8 7:18
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved