Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 83

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

car won't start
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

spfan
See User information
Hi everyone, I am hoping that someone can shed some light on my cars issue and also save my sanity.
I am the proud owner of an original 1957Packard Clipper Towne sedan, I have owned it for eight predominantly trouble free years of ownership. Well, last week I was out for a drive in "Bess" (my pet name for my finned chromey beauty) and pulled into a restaurant to take a break. When I came out she would not start. She had power (the battery is a year old and fully charged) the lights work. When I turned the key there was a buzzing coming from the firewall. After getting it towed home I checked every connection that I could think of and could find nothing loose.
Admittingly I am not a mechanical genius and would really appreciate some help.
thanks in advance
SPfan

Posted on: 2022/6/15 11:31
 Top  Print   

Re: car won't start
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The buzzing is curious and when that occurs is it the only thing that happens or does the engine still crank. If it cranks but does not start do you hear the buzzing over the starter? If it does not crank the buzzing could be due to a low voltage condition for various reasons.

it is possible, even though fairly new, the battery has failed but a more likely problem could be the battery terminal connections have oxidized and a high resistance has developed at one of the terminals or connections. Frequently with either condition there is enough current passing to work lights and small draw accessories but not enough current is available thru the extra resistance to operate the solenoid and starter.

At the least I would clean the battery terminals and try again. If still no luck, place a voltmeter across the battery posts. At standing the voltage should be very close to 12.6v. Have someone try to start the car and watch the voltage meter. If it drops significantly below 12.6v -- say to below 9 or 10v -- then there is a good chance one of the cells in the battery has failed.

If the voltage stays good then we need to find where or what is buzzing.

Posted on: 2022/6/15 11:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Those car have a firewall or inner fender mounted starter solenoid just like the one Ford and many other used. That is most certainly what is buzzing. They usually only do that if there is a bad connection or the voltage is low. It will be the first thing on the positive battery cable that you come to.

Posted on: 2022/6/15 15:39
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

spfan
See User information
I want to thank everyone for your tips and good advice, I replaced the battery cables(it was still equipped with the original factory units) and bought a new battery (not the original) and she's up and running thanks gain!
SPfan

Posted on: 2022/6/30 15:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Amazing what the application of a few Yanqui Dollars and some effort can accomplish. Glad you got your car running. That's a satisfying feeling.

Posted on: 2022/7/10 5:52
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved