Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

My First Car Show....
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi All,
I've had my car for going on 7 years now and have been steadily working on getting it mechanically sound and 'complete' although any of us know 'it's never really 'done'! We have small car shows in our area and I have considered entering it in them, but have always wanted to get it to the point of being show-worthy and felt I was always a little 'under spec' especially with the bumpers needing rechromed. Now that I have them both redone, I decided to show it in a small, local event being staged to raise money for a new community center. There was a good turnout with about 70 cars (good for a tiny town) and my wife and I went with the Packard and spent the day. I was somewhat surprised by the interest shown in the car. Lots of folks stopped and chatted, took pictures and related their 'Packard stories', mostly of older relatives having driven one. The most rewarding by far though, was a young 8 year old lad and his Grandfather, who looked at the car and wandered off. An hour or so later, they showed back up and 'Grampa' advised me that his grandson thought the Packard was his favourite car there. I asked him why, and he said 'because it hasn't been changed like all these other cars (mostly hot rods and resto-mods) and it looks really original'. His Grandfather looked at me and said 'can you believe that from an 8 year-old!? I thanked the young lad and complimented him on his discerning taste. I thought to my self - 'there's a blossoming young purist; there might be hope in this world yet!!! Anyway; fun day and a great experience, and as I suspected, I was the oldest original car there and of course, the only Packard! Chris.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG 1140 Resize.JPG (258.41 KB)
121627_62f92b0a03dbc.jpg 1773X1182 px

jpg  IMG 1134 REsize.JPG (382.57 KB)
121627_62f92b2a73a55.jpg 1773X1182 px

jpg  IMG_1136Resize.JPG (317.30 KB)
121627_62f92b78c9772.jpg 1773X1182 px

Posted on: 2022/8/14 12:08
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Re: My First Car Show....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Congratulations! The car looks just outstanding!! It would be a welcome addition to most any car show.

Posted on: 2022/8/14 12:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Congratulations! The car looks just outstanding!! It would be a welcome addition to most any car show.

Especially, from the looks of things, to this pooch parade.

Posted on: 2022/8/14 16:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Looks great, Chris. Just one thing, please rotate the bolt at the center of the grill guard to a vertical orientation.

;)

DAF

Posted on: 2022/8/14 18:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks Gents and yes Mr. Flack, I will change that bolt forthwith. I am stunned you noticed that! I am also surprised, with the attention to detail by all on this site, that no-one ever brought to my attention that my front bumper was on upside down in all the previous pictures I've posted of the car. The bumper ends have what I can only describe as a butter knife shape to them and are oriented such that the 'soft' curve is on the bottom. When I removed the bumper for re-chroming I realized the error. Now that I have it back on, it almost seems like the ends tip up a bit too much and I am thinking maybe I need to swap sides on the brackets, which would require turning them over. This would tilt the top of the bumper closer to the car and also, twist the ends down a bit. Any opinions???? Couple of 'pre-chrome pics'... Chris

Attach file:

jpg  2019_05_01_0258A.JPG (344.87 KB)
121627_62f9d9a433f99.jpg 1732X1154 px

jpg  2019_05_01_0257R.JPG (289.68 KB)
121627_62f9d9ba33451.jpg 1773X1182 px

Posted on: 2022/8/15 0:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Quote:
Especially, from the looks of things, to this pooch parade.

Bkazmer - I got stuck down at the end of a row between a couple of trucks, but there were some very nice vehicles at the show. The pictures I submitted weren't really representative of the average entry as I was just trying to show my Packard and not showcase the Maseratis, electric Corvettes, and resto-mods etc. Truly, there were some fine cars present. Chris.

Posted on: 2022/8/15 0:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CartRich
See User information
I agree with the kid. Looks like the best car there.

Posted on: 2022/8/15 5:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I think we try to be gentle on Newbies, but hey, you want the gloves off, the bolt should be painted red, your runningboard trim is upside down, and I prefer the wipers to the inside position when parked., and we're not even gonna look at your turn signals...

DAF

Posted on: 2022/8/15 9:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Now you're having fun with it David, that's good! The signal lights are hideous, I agree, and will eventually go when I repaint the car, but I've left them for now as I think they look better than having holes in the fenders. I oriented the running board trim 'upside down' as the running boards are something the previous owner 'welded up' and where they meet the rear fender, that was the only way they could go without looking 'wrong'. Will I paint that nice new chrome bolt head red?? Hmmmmm. That's a 'maybe'. But no opinion on the front bumper?!??! C'mon.... Chris.

Posted on: 2022/8/15 10:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
David, and while we're at it - possibly a stupid question: I too prefer the wipers at the 'in' position when at rest. How is this achieved??? I posted on it a long while back and I think it was Howard that said, while he agreed they looked 'cleaner' in, that the factory 'setting' was with them out. They were out on the car when I got it, so I just left them. If it is not a huge job, I'd change them today! Chris.

Posted on: 2022/8/15 12:46
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved