Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 Packard 400 oil pressure gauge switch
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ernie Baily
See User information
Hello, I'm into my 4th oil presure gauge switch. I ground the wire and the dash gauge reads. How ever I have problems having one work for any period of time. The first one didnt work at all, the second one worked briefly(i found a broken wire tremial. I put on a new wire end with a nut( I suspect I turned the nut too hard and it started to spin) this time I bought a new one on and I changed to a push on treminal and all I got was a pulse and then nothing. I'm at my wits end. Plerase advise!

Posted on: 2022/8/20 11:02
 Top  Print 

Re: 1956 Packard 400 oil pressure gauge switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What sender are you buying? There are the gauge type which has a changing resistance for the gauges in senior models and the on/off switch type used on Clippers with idiot lights.

I know others have had good results and are using the Napa OP6091 with the senior models. If that is what keeps failing I would wonder if you have something external to the sender going on or if the sender is somehow not making a good ground.

If you are using teflon tape or some kind of sealant on the threads some of those products are known to not provide a solid ground.

Posted on: 2022/8/20 11:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
With the Melling oil pump. The napa gauge in my 400 is starting to read erratic.

Think its been in 2 years or so.

Posted on: 2022/8/20 13:33
Riki
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ernie Baily
See User information
I took the teflon tape off, so it should be grounded good. The sender is the one for a gauge not a idiot light. I'm going to check the wiring from the Ignion resitor to the gauge(although the water temp gauge is working and the fuel gauge is working. I guess I'll keep digging!

Posted on: 2022/8/21 8:40
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved