Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

‘49 Rewire
Just popping in
Just popping in

Matthew Buttelmann
See User information
I have a 1949 22nd series and I was wondering what I should expect to pay for a complete rewire? The current wires are a car fire waiting to happen.

Posted on: 2022/9/6 14:24
 Top  Print 

Re: ‘49 Rewire
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
IDK but if you want to do it on your own it's a nice winter project!

I do know that replica wire is not excessively expensive.

Posted on: 2022/9/6 14:30
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Around $1,000-1,200. I bought mine for a 1940 with overdrive and turn signals for scout $800 from Harnesses Unlimited in 1986.

Posted on: 2022/9/6 14:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
New factory style harnesses have gone up quite a bit in the last few years and it also depends on the complexity, model, and how many options the car has. 49s usually have a few more options and lights so are a bit more involved than a typical 40.

Some vendors harnesses are sold in pieces and you can buy only the needed section but with others it is all or nothing. I would suggest visiting a few sites -- Rhode Island Wiring, Narraganset Reproductions, YnZ Yesterdays Parts, and Harnesses Unlimited are the main harness vendors with websites -- and download a catalog or check their listings. Potomac Packards is another that many have used but I don't believe they have a website so you would need to call them.. I expect with all of them you still will need to remove and reuse some of your light sockets or special connectors from the old loom. Also some of the old terminals are obsolete and something modern will need to be substituted which might mean a trip to the parts store if a mating side is not included and you need to connect to some other remaining wire.

The loom most in need would be the main loom which covers the dash and engine compt. You would need to either get an aux loom for the OD, turn signals and other accessories or make sure those wires are included in the main loom. To include them usually involves an add on fee.

The body loom from the dash to the trunk may not be needed as it is above the headliner, fairly well protected and not subject to movement. Unless you plan on removing the headliner it will not be accessible anyway. Some not wanting to touch a good headliner have tried to run a new body loom under the car and into the trunk. The courtesy lights are still above the headliner so if run under you need to figure out how to handle those or keep part of the old loom in use.

If you plan on doing the work yourself I would guess around $1500 for the loom portion and some extra purchase things you will probably need to get. If you plan on having someone else do the work then first you would need to find someone interested in doing it and then their hourly rate to add to the loom cost. How many hours would depend on how good the person is and whether he has done something like a loom replacement before.

If you are handy, good with electric, and can figure out from the diagram what needs to go where others who have not worried much about authenticity have used a modern street rod loom. 6v wiring is a bit problematic with modern looms because of the heavier current and larger wire size needed but some vendors do offer what they call a heavy duty loom which increases the wire size by a gauge. Prices for a modern loom is probably a third of what the factory style would cost.

Posted on: 2022/9/6 16:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Don't forget, if you're reusing part of the old harness you can simply add an inline fuse, then you don't have to worry about shorts. Bulb wattage / 6 volts = amps, pick a fuse 1 size larger.

Posted on: 2022/9/6 21:03
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Also check larkworks.com

Posted on: 2022/9/7 5:47
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved