Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 110

29tons, kevinpackard, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'56 Patrician Torsion-level brake light switch
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
Hello fellow Packardites,

Out '56 Patrician has had an issue with the Torsion-level suspension for a while. Solenoids are clicking, but I don't observe any noticable leveling.
After a short drive, it does seem to level out though.
Today I noticed that the brake lights are on constantly. Could our problem possibly only be that the brake light switch has failed?
I've seen some threads discussing using a readily available 2 post switch with a relay, as opposed to the OEM three post expensive one. Suggestions and advice cheerily accepted!

Posted on: 2022/9/11 3:14
 Top  Print 

Re:
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Drivers use a relay or mechanical switch which is mounted on the steering column.

If you go 2 pole switch. Get the 4.5 amp . racing one.

Attach file:

jpg  4498_630a999e21a71.jpg (133.17 KB)
4498_631d9c1c98111.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/9/11 3:24
Riki
 Top  Print 

Re: '56 Patrician Torsion-level brake light switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
When the disabling circuit (brake switch + dash switch) provides power, the system works. When power is interrupted, such as by turning off the dash switch, or applying the brakes, TL is disabled.

So you end up with, when you apply the brakes, you want the brake lights on, but TL off, and vice versa. That's why it's 3 terminals, Pink is common, Lime is to the TL switch, Green is to brake lights. Curiously, they used the same stop switch on all cars of the TL era, even those with no TL at all (such as 55 Deluxe).

If your brake lights are on constantly, temporarily swap the Lime and Green wires on your stop switch, then test the TL system.

If you want to use a 2 pole switch, you will need to add a relay as such to accommodate the Lime wire to the TL system.

Click to see original Image in a new window

This schematic would also work for cars with positive ground, just reverse the diode orientation.

Posted on: 2022/9/11 7:33
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Re:
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

pcyco13 wrote:
Hello fellow Packardites,

Out '56 Patrician has had an issue with the Torsion-level suspension for a while. Solenoids are clicking, but I don't observe any noticable leveling.
After a short drive, it does seem to level out though.
Today I noticed that the brake lights are on constantly. Could our problem possibly only be that the brake light switch has failed?
I've seen some threads discussing using a readily available 2 post switch with a relay, as opposed to the OEM three post expensive one. Suggestions and advice cheerily accepted!

The solenoids clicking would indicate power is reaching the control switch but perhaps the brake switch is failing and not holding contact long enough for them to operate. Changing it would be the least expensive test option and even if it does not resolve the problem today money is still well spent because you can be assured of something known to be good and move on to the next item.

You will definitely need the relay arrangement if you want to use a readily available two terminal switch. It is a good and easy to install conversion and if you want to keep the car more or less stock probably the best solution for long term. Millions of cars used two terminal switches so they are plentiful and easily found. The 3 terminal NOS switches are still around but getting scarce and expensive while aftermarket three terminals do not seem to hold up for very long.

Not sure which vendors or regions sell the switch and relay conversion kit as it seems to appear and disappear from vendor websites and the original source, Pacific Northwest Region's project page is gone. Dwight Heinmuller used to sell them and maybe still has some but at the moment only see a mechanical switch operated by the pedal arm on his site. That kit mounts inside and is also a very good option. It will eliminate the hydraulic switch issues entirely.https://www.packardparts.org/products/parts/

Posted on: 2022/9/11 9:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
Anyone know where I can purchase the 2 pole brake light switch and relay conversion kit? This seems like the smart way to proceed.

Posted on: 2022/9/11 12:01
 Top  Print 

Re:
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For just plug and play the complete kit is better because it is already done but if the Pacific Northwest region has stopped selling them and no one has info on where else to find them, if you are the least bit handy it is an easy thing to make from items available at most parts stores.

Attach file:

jpg  brake sw replacement loom.jpg (71.51 KB)
209_631e26cf7bfc0.jpg 1200X900 px

jpg  Brake Switch Relay Replacement.jpg (60.91 KB)
209_631e27e6338b4.jpg 1079X800 px

Posted on: 2022/9/11 13:20
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re:
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Agreed, IMO that kit with 2-pole switch and relay is the best way to go. When I bought mine they were available from P.N.R. (Pacific Northwest Region of the Packard Club).

Attach file:

jpg  55-56 PI brake light kit.jpg (103.84 KB)
177_631e2a97a855d.jpg 1111X1054 px

Posted on: 2022/9/11 13:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can someone confirm if Pacific Northwest is still selling the brake or reworked TL control switch. They no longer have a projects page on their website.

Posted on: 2022/9/11 13:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
Thanks everyone for the info and advice. I've decided to go with packardparts mechanical switch conversion kit. Seems like the simplest solution. I'm thinking this is what has been ailing the Torsion-level system lately.i ordered the kit today and look forward to installing it!

Posted on: 2022/9/11 15:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
The mechanical is the easiest

You can go from green wire from on / off switch.

You'll just need bullet connector.s.

Setting the switch up on column and brake lever might take some trial and error.

Posted on: 2022/9/11 15:46
Riki
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved