Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
56 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 56

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

No keys, any ways to get in?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
1954 Patrician,
Glove box and trunk locked.
Other than a locksmith, any suggestions on getting in?
Take the back seat out, and hope there is room to unscrew the trunk from the hinges?

Posted on: 2022/10/2 7:18
 Top  Print 

Re: No keys, any ways to get in?
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
If you were in this area I would pick it.

They advertise that gun type
To open a lock.

Posted on: 2022/10/2 7:28
Riki
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Trunk lock has been covered here many times, suggest you use the search tool. But in a nutshell, remove the back seat and use enough socket wrench extensions to reach to the rear of the trunk and simply remove the 2 small bolts holding th latch bar.

Or call on your local Packard friends, only 250 different keys used between 1935 and 1956 (the same 250 every year).

Posted on: 2022/10/2 7:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I'm assuming time is not of the essence here, here's some suggestions. I've picked open a number of these before, they are only 5-wafer wafer-tumbler locks. Basically means you just turn the lock core in the direction you want it to open, then just have to get the wafers set. A few different ways to do that:

- Tension wrench and wave rake
- Tension wrench and standard pick
- Tension wrench and snap gun (what RH suggested)
- Bump key
- What Dave said will work for the trunk just fine, but you'll need to make a key from the trunk core to open the glovebox.

Make sure to shoot the core with a good amount of spray oil (not WD40) before you start. Contrary to popular belief, new locks are often easier to open, because they are well lubricated with no mechanical wear yet.

You can find tutorials on this stuff on YT and buy basic-quality lockpicks on Amazon. Does take a bit of practice tho.

Posted on: 2022/10/2 8:27
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
O_D is right, lots of rehash here.
I'll add, even if you "pick" or mechanically open yourself, you'll need either new barrels and/or keys - anyhow.
They can usually cut them from scratch if they got the key code numbers or the lock barrel but not sure on P but agree keys were not "unique" back then. You could start a lot of cars with a different brand key.
I sent my door handle to Jesser and he made me keys. I'd call him. Jesser Classic keys. A local locksmith may or may not be able to help.

Posted on: 2022/10/2 10:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Once you get it out, use the key code to make the key which should be stamped on the cylinder but may be covered in dirt so clean thoroughly to locate it. I had to use a points file to make it visible on one of my 1954 Patrician ignition locks. I have never taken apart the trunk locks in either of my 1954 Patricians so can’t say for sure that the locks are stamped but if stamped, the key can be made as original and if the lock is worn, it can be rebuilt to match the code to be Iike new.

As for oil, never use oil in a lock although in this case, it is fine to use to get it freed up (yes, even WD40) but once working and the key made, use alcohol or a solvent to remove all traces and properly lubricate with dry graphite.

Posted on: 2022/10/2 10:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
For my 55 I had to make both keys. IIRC the ignition core is stamped on it, but the trunk is not.

Any competent locksmith can make a key if you give him the trunk core. The glovebox, maybe not. I couldn't find a way to remove the core on it. Same thing on a 1940 Buick even though it's a different part, so maybe it was just how they made then back then.

I've never had a problem oiling locks but I would imagine it would collect dirt easier than graphite.

Posted on: 2022/10/2 14:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Thank you for all the replies.

I did search the forums, because I thought it had been discussed a few times. I guess I didn’t ask the question the right way.

I have a few sets of keys, but alas, none worked.

I was hoping there was a secret way in that someone had found.

One other challenge is this is a factory air car, so the unit will be sitting on hump in the trunk.

Not an urgent thing, just curious about what maybe in them.

Posted on: 2022/10/2 23:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Sounds that you need to bite the bullet and call a locksmith but once done, the same key should fit the glove box.

Incidentally, I rarely have luck here with keyword searches.

Posted on: 2022/10/3 1:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Ride,

Here is the last Keys topic that has most everything that one would need to know.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=24454

If you want to have some fun, pick up a basic lockpick set with at least a couple basic picks, rakes, and tension wrenches, and watch some videos explaining how to pick and rake locks. Practice on a well-lubricated Master Lock padlock, they are usually surprisingly easy to pick open with some basic technique. Once you have your bearings you can try your car lock, it's not hardly any more secure (5 wafer vs. Master Locks are usually 4 pins), just remember the wafers push down, not up. Maybe practice with the Master Lock held in the same orientation.

Or just drive the car to a locksmith and they can open it in like a minute.

Posted on: 2022/10/3 7:09
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved