Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1936 120 locks
Just popping in
Just popping in

JMR1936
See User information
I need to make a key for my trunk spare tire compartment and door. I have removed the locks from the trunk and spare tire compartment. What is the trick for getting the core out of the lock? There is a small hole on one side but it does not depress anything that I can find. I have also picked the lock into the open position and still I cannot get the core to come out. What is the trick here

Attach file:

jpg  20221017_164824.jpg (159.92 KB)
225809_634dc05d27d6a.jpg 1449X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/10/17 15:52
 Top  Print   

Re: 1936 120 locks
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Anything of interest on the back of the lock?

They may be held in with a wafer on the side of the lock which "permanently" keeps them in. You may be able to defeat it with a shim, it's hard to say. I'm talking about something like this... the big wafer on the end is not actuated by the key. Instead it's depressed on install and pops back out in an internal groove in the cylinder, keeping the core in place.

Click to see original Image in a new window

The 55 glove box locks seem to have the same problem. Trunk and starter on those you can disassemble just fine but the glovebox is no bueno. I have a video on making a key for the 53-55 trunk locks here. Might be worth checking out just with the "preview slider" though I doubt there are any significant similarities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdpoHrOsG04

If you figure anything out please let us know

Posted on: 2022/10/17 19:28
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If it's the type of cylinder shown, it typically needs to be turned to the lock position before it can be removed. That's what moves the little retainer piece under the hole so that it can be pressed.

Posted on: 2022/10/17 21:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is an article by James Bushnell on removing some 37 lock cylinders. The illustrations in the article show a small hole on the face almost like the one on yours so perhaps something in his procedure would work.

Posted on: 2022/10/17 21:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

JMR1936
See User information
UPDATE: I was able to remove the cylinder from the door handle. The trick is if you have the key even better if you do not you will need to pick the lock or take it to a locksmith. The trick is depress the Locking tab with a paperclip And the cylinder needs to turn in the opposite direction from the normal rotation. And it must be in the unlocked position. So when it's unlocked depress the tab and rotate the cylinder counterclockwise and the cylinder will fall out in your hand. Unfortunately mine does not have a code number so I will need to make a key for it. The trunk lock and spare tire lock I still have not been able to remove the core

Posted on: 2022/10/20 18:37
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved