Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 147

Joe, TxGoat, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1937 Battery Draw
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
I'm getting a battery drain on my '37 120 and have narrowed it down to current still flowing through the voltage regulator even when everything is shut off. I attached the 'battery' line to the regulator and put a test light between the 'ground' pole of the regulator and the 'ground' line from the generator and it illuminated showing that I did have current flow. Does my test truly indicate an issue or am I barking up the wrong tree?
I did disconnect every line except the ones that sent current from the negative pole of the battery to the regulator.
Thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2022/10/23 15:34
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 Battery Draw
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry Reber
See User information
Check the battery cable as it passes above and past the clutch brake pedel shaft attachment to the frame.

I had a wear point in the cable at a point in the body that had created a high resistance ground.

Looking for the picture.
This one shows the cable comming from the battery and angeling towards the frame.

As you follow it forward mine passed over the top of the frame on its way to the starter.
This pass over area is where the rub through was located.
Good luck on your search.

Attach file:

jpg  P1040832.JPG (282.06 KB)
155070_6356181396e28.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/10/23 23:47
Larry Reber
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Thanks, I shall do just that.

Posted on: 2022/10/24 8:45
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
If you can confirm the current is literally passing through through the voltage regulator BAT terminal, most likely your cut out relay is bad.

Either the contacts are fused together and need cleaning, or the spring is worn out.

Posted on: 2022/10/24 9:53
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Thanks to all. I think I've found my issue and that was because I did not know how to install the regulator correctly. I finally took the cover off and located the cut out relay that is supposed to attach to the line going to the battery and now have it correct.
The regulator that I was sent was not a VRD4005A which is specified in the parts manual but a VRR4005A, which according to the people with whom I work tells me it is compatible. It only has three poles and the ground attaches to the mounting bracket. Does anyone have the correct wiring setup for a VRR4005A? Of the other two poles, which one is from the generator (labeled Armature)? I just want to be sure I have the other two attached correctly.
Thanks again.

Posted on: 2022/10/29 18:38
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Your generator will have at least 2 wires coming off of it. Armature and Field. Probably there will also be a ground wire. A wire coming straight off of the chassis of the generator will be ground. The other 2 should be labeled, but if not, the armature wire is usually thicker than the field wire. These simply attach to the ARM and FLD terminals on the regulator (they should be labeled).

How was your old regulator hooked up? Can you send a picture of the old and new?

Posted on: 2022/10/29 18:45
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I do not like threading electrical cables through metal areas, so on mine I ran the cable through heater hose. Just gives a bit more toughness to the cable to reduce the chance of wearing through the insulation and grounding to the frame. I know it is a bit of 'belt and suspenders' but I like to play it safe.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2022/10/29 18:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
References have the VRR series used mostly on Mopar and some Hudson models. Perhaps one of their diagrams would show the actual terminal layout.

If not, the regulator terminals should be labeled. Sometimes they are stamped or silk screened on the cover or the regulator body very near the terminals and sometimes they are even on the bottom and you will need to look under the regulator. Other times there is a label stamped directly on the terminal metal extending from the regulator but you will often need to remove the screw and sometimes along with a square metal tab that goes over the wire connector before the stampings can be seen.

There is not a consistent label or terminal placement as it differs by mfg and type but typically US regulators having 3 terminals will have a "B" or "BAT" at the battery connection. Wires coming from the generator will connect to "F" or "FLD" for the field wire and the armature wire will connect to a terminal labeled either an "A" or "ARM" or maybe "G" or "GEN" which stands for armature or generator.

Some regulators have extra terminals such as a specific ground connection and in some of the 40s senior model regulators, another terminal usually labeled "S" or "START" where a circuit that prevents the starter motor from energizing if the engine is already running will connect. Models with the 356 engine and Autolite gear reduction starter sometimes used that regulator.

Posted on: 2022/10/30 10:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Thanks. I didn't see any labeling right off but will take a much closer look. I appreciate the information. Learning something new each day!!

Posted on: 2022/10/30 11:09
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Howe
See User information
Hello, again. I went back out and looked at my voltage regulator and could not see any markings as to what went where. I'm attaching a picture of it with the cover off. The cut out relay is at the bottom and I do know where that goes. My only question now is which terminal attaches to the fld. Once I know that, I have the other.
If you cannot read my attached picture, please let me know.
Again, thanks for your help.

Attach file:

jpg  VRR4005A Voltage Regulator.JPG (240.48 KB)
43144_635eafc7d8d4f.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2022/10/30 12:10
Roger Howe
Whitewright, TX
1937 120C Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved