Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
99 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 98

29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 200 Deluxe fuel pump?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chiefdan
See User information
Ok, Today I worked on my 1951 200 Deluxe and got it running sort of. As long as fuel goes directly into the top of the carb it runs but no fuel coming in from the line. Took off the tin cup at the bottom of the fuel pump and found about 1/4" of crud but it was dry. I can blow air thru the tank end of the line and I can poke a small screwdriver into the tank. 5 gal of new gas in the tank but none to the carb. Anything else to check before I look at the fuel pump? Where can I source a fuel pump? Now and Then automotive has rebuild kits but the numbers are like FPA14 or CK48 etc. and I don't know what kit it would take. Thanks again for the help guys.

Posted on: 2022/10/25 22:46
 Top  Print 

Re: 1951 200 Deluxe fuel pump?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Any long-parked car needs to have the fuel system fully cleaned and serviced (also g with the brakes) before there is any attempt to run it without h disconnecting the lines at the carburetor, I learned the hard way what bad gasoline can do to an engine!

Posted on: 2022/10/26 2:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Your car seems to have been parked long ago. You will minimize your aggravation now and long into the future by making a very thorough attack on your fuel system. Otherwise you will suffer unending fuel delivery issues small and large and won't be able to trust the car.

Have the tank cooked out and resealed. Flush the fuel line violently or better still, replace it. Replace the flex line to the pump. I send fuel pumps out to either Terrill Machine or Goulds for rebuilding as they come back looking like jewelry for not much more than the price of a kit.

Old gummy gas will cause your intake valves to stick, usually on the second day.

For playing with the car right now, just feed it with an old lawn mower tank hung on the drip rail.

One of my favorite things to do is wake up old sleepers, but the one corner you can not cut is the fuel system.

Posted on: 2022/10/26 6:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
One thing to keep in mind is that these cars did not have dual master cylinders, so if you have a brake line failure, your brakes are gone except for the handbrake.

Depending on your situation, it may or may not be easier to check/replace brake lines at the same time as the fuel system or vice versa. Honestly unless it looks pretty clean I would just replace the fuel line (after cleaning the tank, of course). That way there's no worry about pinholes, clogs, or restrictions. I would consider adding a fuel filter also.

While you're at it, consider whether you want to have an electric pump in the tank instead. A rebuilt pump on the engine should work just fine, but some people prefer the electrics.

A couple relevant threads:
Starting post, and read about 10 more newer:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=25541&post_id=245444#forumpost245444

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=247572

Posted on: 2022/10/26 8:38
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chiefdan
See User information
Thanks for the help guys. Terill's and Goulds are about the same price for a rebuild at $130 but Terill's has a wait time of around 8 weeks. I'll send the pump out to Goulds and pull the tank while he has it and work on that. I have a lawn mower tank I can rig up so I can turn the car around in the garage. Want to get the car safe and dependable. No hurry as it's almost November and in Western New York I won't be needing the car till May.

Posted on: 2022/10/26 14:49
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved