Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 159

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Long cold cranking time
Just popping in
Just popping in

D.O.
See User information
After sitting for a week or more my 1937 Packard turns over a lot before it starts. My concern is wearing out the starter! My vehicle came with an electric fuel pump and it sounds like it is working (pumping sound when you turn on the ignition key.) Is there a way to get fuel to the carburetor sooner? Or do I have another problem?

Posted on: 2022/11/13 13:31
 Top  Print 

Re: Long cold cranking time
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Definitely not a great idea to have the starter cranking for a long period of time because they can overheat.

Assuming there is nothing amiss with the ignition such as dirty plugs or a weak spark and it is just a lack of fuel at the carb for the reason, then if the electric pump is working, many of us turn on the electric pump for several seconds before trying to crank -- in my case at least 30 seconds to a minute or even longer until the pump sort of makes a change in sound. On my solenoid type pump the sound change indicates the filter and fuel bowl in the carb is filled and there is no longer much flow. I then pump the accelerator pedal a time or two to set the choke and get a squirt in the carb throat before activating the starter. It still sometimes takes a try or two but generally needs much less starter time than just turning the key and cranking.

Posted on: 2022/11/13 13:44
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
My 55 400 has an electric pump and I always do the same thing, however I'm surprised it would take so long. Mine I only run for a couple seconds before it sounds different and I try to crank it.

Posted on: 2022/11/13 14:50
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

D.O.
See User information
Thank you both for the reply. You're right, I should let the electric fuel pump run for longer before trying to start. Restarting after being driven the same day it fires right up. Glad you were there for me.

Posted on: 2022/11/14 11:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
If you do your own tune ups you might consider a dwell meter. Many times the points are not opening correctly and that can cause hard starting. Along with some small pieces of card stock and no residue contact cleaner to make sure the faces of the contacts are free of carbon and there is no burning.

Posted on: 2022/11/14 11:40
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved