Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
38 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 38

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1941 paint scheme for Convertible Coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I am trying to determine the color paint /interior color scheme for my 1941.

The original interior was a red leather and the rims are also red. I have no idea on the roof canvas.

gag..current color is a sandy beige with fake brown leather trim...

Are there specific color schemes that were used for 120 Convertibles?

Thank you for your insight.

Gar

Posted on: 2022/11/13 18:40
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 paint scheme for Convertible Coupe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Generally wheels were body color but with body color Saratoga Beige, wheels were available in Cimmaron Red. From your description that may be the combination your vehicle has. All the various color and interior options are in the factory literature available on site here in the Literature Archive, spend some time browsing it.

Posted on: 2022/11/13 19:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Thanks for the tip. I did look earlier at the paint charts but did not find the paint/interior color for this particular model. I did however, find another forum that discussed the interior of the car and the correct leather color options for my paint.

It looks like the original paint color might have been a two tone moth gray/ blue gray. I found a small gouge/chip in the steering wheel. That surprises me as I did not think there were any two tone 41 convertibles...

Posted on: 2022/11/17 11:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm aware of one very original and apparently unmolested 1941 120 convertible coupe that is two-tone paint, Chickory and Grove Green. Sold new in the Waterbury CT area, last I heard it was still in CT. I wish now I had taken pix of it.

Posted on: 2022/11/17 11:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packardsix1939
See User information
I am very familiar with the original 1941 Packard 120 convertible Coupe from Connecticut referenced by Owen_Dyneto. This car was owned for many years by the late John Orientas of Waterbury, Connecticut. I knew John when we were both members of the former Eastern Packard Club and frequently saw him and the car at area car shows and club events. It was perhaps one of the best, if not the best preserved original '41 Packard in existence and was stunningly beautiful in that two-tone green paint scheme. The car had a very interesting back story. The original owner was Dorothea Chase, heir to the Chase Brass Company fortune. Chase Brass was once one of the nation's largest brass mills and operated a huge plant in the city of Waterbury. In fact, Waterbury was once known as the "Brass City" because of this. This made the Chase family one of the wealthiest in the state. In 1941, Dorothea bought three Packards from the Waterbury agency (Packard-Waterbury); the convertible, a woody wagon and a 180 Formal Sedan. John worked for the Chase family as a chauffeur for many years and was with Dorothea on the day the cars were first delivered. As I recall, John told me that Dorothea used the convertible and the woody as her personal cars, with the convertible only being driven in nice weather during the spring and summer. For official events, the 180 Formal Sedan was used, with John doing the driving. All three cars were owned by the Chase family until 1971, when Dorothea passed away. She willed the convertible to John and that is how he obtained it. The other two cars were sold at auction. The 180 Formal Sedan was purchased by Jack Behn, a fellow Eastern Packard Club member, who owned it until his passing in 2009. The woody seems to have disappeared after the 1971 auction.

John Orientas owned the 1941 convertible until his passing in the 1990's. His son Bob inherited it and kept it for a number of years, but eventually he had to sell it for health reasons. I'm not sure where it is now, but it has been years since I have seen it.

The color scheme was Scheme P, Chicory Green Metallic over Grove Green Metallic. If you go onto the Packard Club website (www.packardclub.org) and click on the Reference section, you can scroll down the Paint Chips section. This section lists all of the color schemes by year for 1929 through 1958. The section also includes scans of the actual color chips used for the particular year. It is a very useful reference source for anyone restoring a Packard and desiring to use an original color scheme. I just wish that more people would use this source and not make up their own colors. I've seen some pretty awful paint jobs on Packards over the years.

I was unable to locate a photo of John's old car in my collection but was able to locate another '41 convertible in the same color scheme. I think that the two-tone green Scheme P looks especially attractive. John's car had a green leather interior that beautifully matched the exterior colors. I loved this car for years, but when John's son Bob finally put it up for sale, I was not in a position at the time to purchase it. I hope it is in a good home now, wherever it is.

Attach file:

jpg  1941Packardconv_schemeP.jpg (164.16 KB)
225503_6376dbf3dbd20.jpg 1066X800 px

Posted on: 2022/11/17 20:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
OK. So if I go down the two tone paint solution and match the leather interior to the correct paint combo, I should be good and not create a Frankenstein?

Is the dash the lighter or darker paint?

thank you!

Posted on: 2022/11/19 11:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
The picture is the dash in my 42 110, from the research done for my restoration it is correct. Not much changed from 41 t0 42, I would recommend that you do your own research for the correct color, find an original convertible or some wise old people. I also believe colored top material was not used till 42. Good luck Dell

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_1173.JPG (202.95 KB)
1697_63793de52cf54.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/11/19 15:35

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information

Posted on: 2022/11/19 15:36
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Wat;
The the dashes on open cars are painted, I only saw wood graining on the sit you listed.

Posted on: 2022/11/19 17:43

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Ok. I am slightly confused I see a Dupont color chart on the packardclub sitehttps://www.packardclub.org/html/1941paint.htm

and acme paint on this sitehttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/archive/content.php?op=&catID=16&ContentID=228

so, did they have two different color charts to go off of?

Posted on: 2022/11/19 18:52
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved