Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
33 user(s) are online (20 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 33

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Head nut/stud torque?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rockabilly
See User information
I finally got everything back together today and went to start the car but coolant is passing by the head gasket out the sides of the block/head. I torqued them to 62 foot pounds in the pattern laid out in the service manual. This is a brand new copper head gasket. Frustrated a bit.

Posted on: 2022/11/25 14:50
Catch me on Instagram @rockabillydad or @pastironworks
1951 Packard 300
 Top  Print   

Re: Head nut/stud torque?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
How did you install the head gasket?

Posted on: 2022/11/25 15:30
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Was any milling done to the head and was it and the studs and the washers under the nuts the same ones or at least the same thickness as the originals? Conceivably for something like that to happen the nuts could be bottoming out on the stud threads before touching or at least tightening against the head.

Also, if the head is different or any milling was done that thinned the head there could be an issue with valve clearance. Be sure to run a check before tightening the head and cranking the engine or valves or lifters could be damaged. If a 54 engine with aluminum head, when changing from an aluminum to cast iron head there is quite a bit of difference in thickness. Unless you check to be sure the studs have enough thread or change to shorter ones extra thick or multiple washers will probably be needed.

Posted on: 2022/11/25 16:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I just got a call today from a very frustrated mechanic in VA who is having the exact same problem on a 288 (same gasket and block as your 327). It makes me wonder if something very funky is going on with the gaskets. The VA head was freshly milled, and even with a low torque the gasket should hold water for crying out loud.

That said, I do always put my gaskets on with the old hot rodder's favorite of a heavy coat of aluminum paint on both sides.

I guess I'd try running the engine through a couple of heat cycles and carefully retorque to see if everything seals up. The last new gasket I retorqued a few weeks ago took an astonishing near half-turn on each nut after several heat cycles.

Posted on: 2022/11/25 21:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Ross, what do you think of the aerosol Copper Coat? That’s what Ive always used on heads.

Posted on: 2022/11/25 23:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I had the same problem some years ago. I had refitted the head to my 1929 Packard with a new gasket (not from Olsens)after an engine rebuild that included machining the head and top of block. It leaked water out the side of the head and into the cylinders. I had tensioned the head down so I repeated that a few times but it continued to leak badly.
I removed the new gasket (that looked fine on inspection) and refitted the old gasket just to check that it was the new gasket causing the problem and it sealed perfectly. I drove the car on a number of tours with the old gasket and it is still there today.

Posted on: 2022/11/26 1:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
I always torque heads several times. I install them and torque bolts to 15 ft lbs. Then 30 then 45 then 62. run engine leave engine cool and retorque. I had a problem with a head gasket from olsons. Someone must have dropped it and there was a wrinkle in the corner. I called olsons and they said it would be fine I put it on and it leaked where the wrinkle was. I called olsons they said they had a 5 day return policy and I was past that and they would not take it back.

Posted on: 2022/11/26 5:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
There is a series of videos from Cold War Motors (a Canadian junkyard) where they got an old Buick and a '53 (maybe) Packard running. The Packard has a stuck engine which they got loose and a bad spot or 2 in the copper head gasket. Guy took the gasket and straightened out the bad place(s) and reinstalled it. He reported no leaks.

I was wondering about the coating, or lack thereof.

Which may be why my Deluxe has a green spot that doesn't match its Packard green on the side of the head. One more damned thing to look into.

Posted on: 2022/11/26 6:06
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I'm sure the Copper Cote is fine, but once I heard that aluminum paint is what the old Hudson racers used, that was all I needed to know.

And incidently, after we cleaned out the mouse nest in #7 cylinder on Clippy, we slapped the head back on with the old gasket and some aluminum paint and I have driven it 12K miles since.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0338.JPG (249.34 KB)
618_63820f9f7b27b.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/11/26 8:03
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rockabilly
See User information
Alright, just to follow up on this, I just did a couple of heat cycles and retorqued each time. 4 times in total. Problem solved. With those new lifter installed it is whisper quiet under the hood and makes the magnaflow exhaust system I welded together sound even better.

I can’t thank everyone on this forum enough for their help and advice.

Posted on: 2022/11/26 8:11
Catch me on Instagram @rockabillydad or @pastironworks
1951 Packard 300
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved