Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 158

BigKev, 53 Cavalier, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1950 Gas Gauge
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Joe
See User information
Hey all! Working through some of the technical elements on my 23rd series. Car should be getting it's new gas tank installed in the next week or two. The fabricator (Rock Valley Auto) also sent a TAN-GME (0-30 Ohms) fuel sending unit that I'm assuming isn't going to work with the gas gauge as is (read all the background on that). The gauge needed to be repaired anyways, so I'm curious if there is anyone out there who knows someone who can not only repair the gauge, but also update the internal elements of the gauge so that it will communicate with this sending unit.

Also looking to get the clock going again, doing similar modern internal upgrades (Quartz movement and what not). Vehicle is 6v/positive ground. Anyone y'all recommend to do this work? Thanks in advance!

Attach file:

jpg  Clock and Gas Gauge.jpg (316.23 KB)
225648_639272798fb1b.jpg 1792X1344 px

Posted on: 2022/12/8 18:31
 Top  Print 

Re: 1950 Gas Gauge
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
If if looks in decent shape, you could probably get it going yourself. I made a video on this. Though no guarantee it will keep good time, mine loses about 10min / day... not a concern for me as it's never the right time anyway from leaving my battery disconnected, it's just cool to see it work.

If you want a guaranteed properly functioning refurbished timepiece, send it to these guys:http://www.clockwks.com/The_Clock_Worx.html

Posted on: 2022/12/8 18:52
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I'm curious if there is anyone out there who knows someone who can not only repair the gauge, but also update the internal elements of the gauge so that it will communicate with this sending unit.

I cannot say if the specific new sender you have could be used and I do not know anyone who has had this done on a Packard or the cost but Classic Instruments advertises a service where they retrofit new works in old gauge housings to keep a stock look.https://shop.classicinstruments.com/retrofits

If you do contact them and find out any information as to what can be done could you advise the forum. Instrument repair places that work on other years either do not want to work on 48-50 senders or they really cannot be repaired. NOS or good used are getting very hard to find and KM Lifestyles says they cannot make them. it would be good to have some options.

Posted on: 2022/12/8 19:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Replacement sending units that are compatible with the original Packard gauges are available from Ford parts suppliers and the float arm length is adjustable.
Dennis Carpenter is one of the suppliers and they have brass floats and gaskets available as well.

Gas Tank Sending Unit for 1936-55 Ford Trucks and Cars | Dennis Carpenter Ford Restorations
https://www.dennis-carpenter.com/trucks/fuel-system/gas-tank-sending-unit/99a-9275-gas-tank-sending-unit

Posted on: 2022/12/8 20:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is great information. Apparently the repro senders have a solid state circuit to mimic the pulse action of the original senders.

Carpenter also has repro temp and oil senders for those same year Fords they say are also modern solid state. Will assume for now Ford, like Packard, used the same bimetal type gauges and senders for those instruments as well so in theory their senders should also work in Packards. Temp and oil sender might have the wrong thread but maybe would work with an adapter. For Packards the temp sender would need to be their single terminal unit so unless someone can say if the Ford temp and oil gauges or senders are different would anyone with a 48-50 want to buy one and let the forum know if they work.

Posted on: 2022/12/8 21:11
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved