Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 155

BigKev, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

overdrive on 1940 110 6 cylimder
Just popping in
Just popping in

DirkL
See User information
I am wanting to put overdrive on my 1940 110 6 cylinder. Does anyone know where I might could pick up an overdrive unit for this car or have any information on how I could get a overdrive application on this car?

Posted on: 2022/12/10 17:55
 Top  Print 

Re: overdrive on 1940 110 6 cylimder
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I put factory R9 overdrive into my 1940 110 which isn’t all that difficult but you do have to shorten the driveshaft or buy one from on OD car. Back when I did it, there was no Internet so having mine shortened was easier. Once physically install, you need some hardware, wiring and other electrical bits to make it work and also for a proper installation the rear end ratio should be changed. I did not change it on mine but had planned on doing so and would have had I kept the car!

Posted on: 2022/12/10 18:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Incidentally, in case you didn’t realize it, adding overdrive means replacing the transmission as the OD is part of it, not a separate unit to be added on behind it.

Posted on: 2022/12/10 18:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The transmission and overdrive are built and installed as a unit and will need to be the complete smaller unit from a junior car. Components used with the 356 engine are heavy duty with an input shaft being a larger diameter so that unit will require some changeover work and not be an easy install on a 110.

While the R9 would be the correct unit for the car and junior units from 40 to early 48 will bolt in it is a fairly complex unit both electrically and mechanically. You must also have R9 specific electric items such as the relay box and solenoid for that unit and those are starting to be hard to come by and expensive. For that reason you might also consider the later R11 unit from a mid 48-50 junior model. Electrical is much simpler, can use store bought relays and universal kickdown switches plus mechanical is more robust. Repro electrical components are also available for the R11.

Compete trans/OD units are frequently are found on ebay and even some have been offered on this forum.

Posted on: 2022/12/10 18:31
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
DirkL,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '40 110, with or without overdrive, in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2022/12/11 2:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved