Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 88

BDeB, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Rescued
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John
See User information
Today I took steps to preserve a 1953 Caribbean. Story is a man retired built a new house, had his Packard with plans of a quiet life. He removed all trim and had car painted. But sadly he died. Good thing is the garage in his new house was heated. All this occurred in 1983. He kids had little interest in the car but it sat there as a memory. The house has now moved down one more generation. These people view it as junk and were preparing to have it just towed away. Now in my garage. Will see how it goes. Wish me luck 😁

Posted on: 2022/12/29 20:16
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Re: Rescued
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Congratulations. I'm sure we would all like to see some photos and hear the story as you progress.

Posted on: 2022/12/29 20:49
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John
See User information
The challenge ahead

Attach file:

jpeg  E9A81246-AE6E-427D-A06D-10CFAED69C7E.jpeg (405.61 KB)
81454_63ae56f193732.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2022/12/29 22:11
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John
See User information
It needs a lot. I feel very comfortable with the engine work. What I am curious about is what is the proper protocol for bringing ultramatic back to life.

Posted on: 2022/12/29 22:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Apparently there's a good chance some seal will fail from being dry after so long on the trans if you just fire it right up. I would drop it same time you're working on the engine and do a rebuild kit. Others I'm sure can give more precise advice.https://www.kanter.com/p-35861-ultramatic-rebuilding-kit-1951-1954-transmission.html

Watch Ross's videos on trans disassembly here, should be pretty similar to yourshttps://www.youtube.com/@speedwellgarage8588

What's nice is you have a convertible and they hold value pretty well, spending a few grand on parts to get it going good is a no brainer. On the HT/sedans there is more of a monetary concern.

As I hear those engines are quite nice to work on, even after 40 years I think you'll be able to get it going again if you're careful about things as I'm sure you will be.

As others have said, pics/updates are greatly appreciated!

Posted on: 2022/12/29 22:38
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I'm guessing it was a running car at the time it was painted, and with the good dry storage you will not have too much trouble getting the engine fired up.

Before you fire, check the fluid level of the trans--left front corner of the case, and very awkward. As long as there is something showing on the stick you are OK to start. After it has run a bit the convertor will refill and I can guarantee you will need to add some Type F ATF to bring it up to level. It would not be a bad idea to have the trans in N and the rear wheels up so it can spin along with engine and let the fluid find its way into all the bushings. After that, you will just have to drive it and see what happens. Seals are readily available if needed. Of course, if you need to yank the engine, bring the trans out with it and do a reseal job.

Posted on: 2022/12/30 8:17
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Should be worth in the 6 figure neighborhood according to the guides once it's done, so good rescue. If the paint isn't cracked, lifting, rust through or anything, may dodge that bullet with a clean, polish, and wax.

Posted on: 2022/12/30 14:25
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

John
See User information
Ross, thanks! That was exactly the advice I was looking for.

Posted on: 2022/12/30 15:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Good for you. What a fun project!

Posted on: 2022/12/30 19:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
First, congratulations on your New Year's Score. It would look good at my house, too. Like Wat needs another freaking project.

If you need autotrans parts, Wat has a '54 limo which he wants the engine from, and the trans will be surplus. Just sayin'. I doubt that mine is any better as it likely has sat longer and in worse conditions, but it should be unmolested. The Safe While It's Still Under The Car theory.

Please keep us posted. I'd like to see this.

Come to think of it, Wat also has a '51 9-main 327 engine which is likely never going to get used here, either. Keep it in mind if you need stuff.

Posted on: 2023/1/2 7:15
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved