Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
58 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 58

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ownership Mystery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I have the ownership and data plate with my 37. The Vehicle Number is 1099-3085 on the data plate. It is a 37 model.
On the typed ownership, showing 37 as the year, from its last renewal in 1960, it has the serial number as 999125.
As you know that serial number is not a proper vehicle number for Packard.
However if I enter 999-1250 in the decoder I come up with the same car but in a 1936 model. Coincidence?
Where would the 999125 have come from to be on the ownership? I realize that a typed document can have errors but there is no relationship between the two numbers.
Could it be that sometime in the past an ownership from a '36 was used for this car? The owner from that time has been dead for over 2 years now so there is no one to ask. I thought I would put it to the group to see if anyone else has a similar occurrence.
Thanks,
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/1/8 22:58
 Top  Print 

Re: Ownership Mystery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
As a VIN verifier for the California DMV, I do occasionally find errors on the previous paperwork which is part of the reason we do the verifications. For example, I verified a Continental Mark II with a title that indicated 1956 but its serial number made it well into the 1957 production.

Of course, dashes are always ignored here on the documents and not used but as for why the mismatch on yours, maybe an error made long ago that never got corrected!

Posted on: 2023/1/9 4:07
 Top  Print 

Re: Ownership Mystery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
I agree. I suspected as much. All involved are long gone. Just curious about the car's history. 'Many a slip between the cup and the lip' applies here I bet.
The registry office here got a big kick out of the 'typed' ownership. No one behind the counter had ever seen one not having dealt with anything not printed off a computer before.
Bob J.

Posted on: 2023/1/9 10:26
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved