Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
54 user(s) are online (36 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 53

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

53' Patrician windshield wipers
Just popping in
Just popping in

david
See User information
Does the knob on the steering column activate the wipers? Nothing happens when I turn the knob.

Posted on: 2023/1/28 11:18
 Top  Print   

Re: 53
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It does. Turning the knob towards you moves a cable which in turn is connected to a slide valve on the wiper motor and makes it move to admit vacuum into the motor and start it moving. The more you turn it the farther the valve slides and will give some speed control. If you have the optional windshield washer turning the knob toward the dash and holding it against a spring for a few seconds causes the slide valve to move in the other direction and opens a port on the motor to provide vacuum to the washer pump.

Make sure there is good strong vacuum at the hose connected to the nipple on the passenger side of the motor. If you have vacuum and the slide valve is moving there is a good chance the motor needs to be rebuilt which is a fairly common issue with the old motors that are worn or have gaskets and seals dried out.

If you find the motor needs rebuilding Ficken Wiper Service is about the only place that has parts. They do a great job at reasonable cost and with relatively fast turnaround.

Here is a bit from the 52 owners manual chosen because it is a better scanning. 53 reads almost exactly the same and both manuals are available for download in the literature archive.

Attach file:

jpg  wiper.jpg (122.33 KB)
209_63d54e0ac480d.jpg 1130X800 px

Posted on: 2023/1/28 11:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
Also, be sure to spray water on the windshield before trying the wipers. The blades may not move - even if they are working - on dry glass.

Posted on: 2023/1/28 11:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day david,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '53 Patrician in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2023/1/28 17:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: 53' Patrician windshield wipers
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I found the attachment for the cable at the wiper motor was damaged. Had to repair it so it stayed connected. Also I found the connection for the washer was leaking. Washer doesn't work very well anyhow, so I just plugged that. This made the wipers work better. They can be "resuscitated" by dripping some mills foot oil or other oil that is good for leather into the chamber and moving the wipers back and forth, the seal inside is made of leather.

Posted on: 2023/1/28 20:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved