Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
105 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 104

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Aluminum Oil Pan Bolt Torque
Just popping in
Just popping in

Out Islander
See User information
Can anyone help with the recommended torque for the aluminum oil pan bolts in my 1101?

Posted on: 2023/2/4 16:46
 Top  Print 

Re: Aluminum Oil Pan Bolt Torque
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Torque is dependant on the fastener, not the material that is being fastened. That was worked out by the engineers that specified the parts for the engine. So, if it is a steel 5/16-18 or 5/16-24 bolt/nut, it will be 15-18 ft/lbs. 1/4-20 or 1/4-28 it will be 8-9 ft/lbs. I doubt it would be larger, but if 3/8-16 or 3/8-24 it will be 25-30 ft/lbs.
Things change only when the fastener's material changes. For instance the bolt that attaches the battery cable to the starter is a 3/8-16, but the stud is copper, much softer than grade 5 steel bolts so the torque drops to 6-7 ft/lbs. Hope this helps.
The most important thing to check when attaching any cover such as an oil pan, valve cover etc. that is stamped from aluminum or sheet steel is to use a straight edge and a feeler gauge to make absolutely sure the parts are still as flat as possible on the sealing edge. Someone in the past that is not as conscientious as yourself will likely have over torqued the fasteners and caused the gasket to crush too far and then make the seam a series of spline curves between bolt holes making it very hard to seal. Some simple checks and a bit of work with body hammers and dollies will save you from this happening.
Good luck!
Bob J.
P.S. Oh as a rule, start in the middle of the part and tighten toward the ends, my mentor said to do it like you spread butter on toast!

Posted on: 2023/2/4 17:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Out Islander,
First post, so to PackardInfo. But sorry I can't answer your query although I suspect it's something like "when your elbow "clicks". Doubt they had torque values for those bolts back in the day.

However, I invite you to include your '34 1101 Packard in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2023/2/4 17:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
There isn't one. You can use judgement or check the ASTM guidelines on the junknet and use that. Run them snug and tighten using a short wrench as came in the tool kit. I have some of those wrenches floating around here and they are 4 1/4 inches long. It's a fine thread as well which increases the clamping force. For the timing cover you need to ensure the gasket is being squeezed enough not to leak.

Posted on: 2023/2/5 8:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Bob,
After some trials and tribulations for including your '34 Eight Coupe Roadster in the Packard Vehicle Registry. Now for the photo!

Posted on: 2023/2/9 1:26
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Nice pic of a nice Packard.

Posted on: 2023/2/9 13:29
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved