Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 90

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'37 Packard 120 4 door Convertible - RIMS
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dbedsole
See User information
I am considering switching my polyester bias tube 7.00 16 tires to radials but do not know if the original rims are strong enough for radials - has anyone done the research?

Posted on: 2023/2/3 15:49
 Top  Print 

Re: '37 Packard 120 4 door Convertible - RIMS
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
No problem at all running tubeless radials.

Posted on: 2023/2/3 17:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I guess they are really wheels not rims; although a rim is part of a wheel. I ran Diamondback Hankook tubeless radial tires on my 115C with no problems. I think you will be happy with the tires, but probably not the price.

Posted on: 2023/2/3 18:44
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Re:
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dbedsole
See User information
Thanks for the responses. As you know radial tires puts more stress on the rim flange than do bias-ply which can lead to cracking, metal fatigue and rim failure. SEMA has a number of white papers on the issue of mounting radial tires on classic bias-ply tire rims, I attach the article.
When I went with radials on my 58'vette I purchased new Welded rims at the advice of NCRS. T have installed radials on my '60 Cad, '63 Cad and '63 RR without incident, but all were post war classics. When I look at my 83 year old riveted rims on the '37 Packard that have been through many cycles I was not so sure the design and condition would handle the increased stress so thanks for giving me the benefit of your experience.

Attach file:

pdf WTC-2011-05-Bias-vs-Radial-Tire-Wheel-Fitment.pdf Size: 105.43 KB; Hits: 261

Posted on: 2023/2/5 13:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Many of us here have tubeless tires on our Packards. Some go with the Diamondbacks which use modern tire sizes that approximate the original size with and without the affixed whitewalls. Others use Coker and Diamondback Auburn radials which mimic the bias ply look and are made in the vintage sizes.

I would have your wheels checked for any problems and make sure they are not warped or bent. Otherwise, you should be good to go.

Posted on: 2023/2/5 14:06
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved